Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Schroeders PDP-8/e, where to find the 32KOmnibus module?

  1. #1

    Default Schroeders PDP-8/e, where to find the 32KOmnibus module?

    Hi there!

    Before I jump into the topic I would like to introduce myself: I'm 50 years old and been accompanied by DEC through most of my IT "career".
    The first PDP-11 I build myself was for my diploma thesis 30 years ago, it was a PDP-11 using a T11 developed for a VMEbus system. I still have the system but is is not fully functioning anymore as I lost the operating system sources.

    Today I collect DEC equipment I been in touch with over the last 25 years including those I used during my study. My collection has around 25 small DEC systems. From PDP, VAX, Alpha to the first small Itanium system. The system I will start to restore is a VT103. Actually the smallest PDP computer I have.

    Some weeks ago I got my hands on a PDP-8/e (m) hybrid. I was pickung up some DEC Rainbow's when a box of Omnibus cards took my attention and it turned out that the computer still did exist in a living room somewhere in Bavaria.
    A week ago I picked it up and it came with two RX02 and a paper tape reader/puncher all in a 19" rack.

    To my question: I have some things to do before I start to power it up. It wasn't running for 25 years so I expect the normal trouble with the linear power supply. To reduce the stress on the 8 core memory fields I was looking for the 32KOmnibus project I heared about some years ago. I tried to contact the seller but did not succeed. Does one know if there is still modules available for purchase and whom to contact.

    Any help is appreciated.

    With best regards from Germany,
    Peter

    20180415_122351 (Custom).jpg

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
    Hi there!

    The system I will start to restore is a VT103. Actually the smallest PDP computer I have.
    Interesting! I also have a VT103 which I have been working with. The PSU has been repaired and is working. Now I need to clean up the rest and and fix the TU58 drives.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post

    To my question: I have some things to do before I start to power it up. It wasn't running for 25 years so I expect the normal trouble with the linear power supply. To reduce the stress on the 8 core memory fields I was looking for the 32KOmnibus project I heared about some years ago. I tried to contact the seller but did not succeed. Does one know if there is still modules available for purchase and whom to contact.
    anders_bzn in this forum has just made a run of 10 cards. I think he still might have some cards left. I have asked him to check and get back to you.

  3. #3

    Default

    I have just as Mattis wrote made another run of the boards, I have still one left. Contact me in a PM if your'e interested. It's just the PCB, no components.

    I rotated the battery holder so it fits in a PDP-8a without problems. I just ordered them with ENIG plating, not hard gold as Vince did in the first round. I also asked Vince about a board some time ago, but he doesn't have any left.

    I just ordered 10pcs since I just wanted one for myself, the rumor sold the rest. Seams that there are some demand for those boards.

  4. #4

    Default

    You guys are amazing!

    Regarding the VT103 I actually had no idea about the thing that was placed in my car. I thought it was just another VT100 still the two slots in the front made me curious because it had two DECTapes loaded. The rubber wheels are melted away, maybe I clean those and use it with en emulator. Btw. one of the VT100 came with a graphic extension, something I remember from my time at the university,

    Cheers,
    Peter

  5. #5

    Default

    It's possible to replace the rubber wheels in a TU58. I had someone to do it on my TU58 for my VAX11/730 some years ago.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    1,645

    Default

    thats quite the sweet setup you have there.. I am jealous. Any interest in selling a rainbow unit. I made the mistake of junking mine in the mid 90's

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    thats quite the sweet setup you have there.. I am jealous. Any interest in selling a rainbow unit. I made the mistake of junking mine in the mid 90's
    One Rainbow is fully functional and I started to use it. The HD is a ST225 and came up with no problem. It runs MSDOS 2.11. I will post some pictures when it is finally moved to its desk. The others are faulty, one reports a Video RAM error and the owner mentioned it failed on a hot summer day. The third one I havent tried, it was stored in a basement with people doing constructions next to it ...

  8. #8

    Default

    Hi!

    This is the list of spare boards coming with the PDP8, some are not Omnibus.

    One knowing what the Norminterface is used for?

    M8300 2x Major Registers
    M8310 Major Register Control
    M8330 Timing Board
    M8655 3x RS232
    M8650 Teleprinter
    M847 Bootstrap Loader
    H-212 Memory (NOS)
    G-111 Memory (NOS)
    G-104 Memory (NOS)
    M860 RTC
    M518 RTC
    M840 Paper Tape Reader
    M7892 TU60 Interface
    M882 RTC
    M8365 2x LA180 Printer Control (used for LA70)
    M8357 2x RX8E
    M792YB Diode matrix
    731C 2x Connector
    732C 2x Connector
    M920 Internal Bus Connector
    M040 3x Solenoid Driver
    M044 3x Solenoid Driver
    M660 Positive Load Driver
    M516 Positive Bus Receiver
    G918 Photo Transistor Amplifier
    W987A 3x Quad Extender
    ABCD Extender 2x
    Norminterface 60-3310-C1 3x
    M7015 Unibus LPS11
    M7212 DB11 Adr. Line Repeater

    Cheers,
    Peter

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    That is a nice selection of boards in your collection.
    Would you consider selling the TA8-E M7892 TU60 Interface?
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
    One Rainbow is fully functional and I started to use it. The HD is a ST225 and came up with no problem. It runs MSDOS 2.11. I will post some pictures when it is finally moved to its desk. The others are faulty, one reports a Video RAM error and the owner mentioned it failed on a hot summer day. The third one I havent tried, it was stored in a basement with people doing constructions next to it ...
    A lot of software will be found here:

    http://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/...bow/index.html

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •