Image Map Image Map

Thread: Can Anyone identify this MAC board?

Default Can Anyone identify this MAC board?

Someone offered me this board for sale but I dont know what it is neither do they. It looks like a compact mac upgrade board... maybe. Any ideas?s-l1600.jpg

I have a near identical board to that:

https://i.imgur.com/ll5TTmg.jpg

It's an upgrade for a Mac SE. You'll need a 25 MHz 68030 PGA CPU, an optional 68881/2 at 20/25 MHz and up to 4 MB of RAM to get it working.

interesting. Does this expand the SE's system RAM or do you install the system RAM only to this card when using it? Also, what is the little grey connector on the back for?

It's been about 20 years since I last used this upgrade board, but I seem to recall it expanding the base system memory.

The connector on the back is for an external monitor, those SIP memory chips on the side of the FPGA is video RAM. It's a monochrome output only, no color.

I can't tell you what the pinout is though, as I lost the dongle for it years ago. I do remember it did output to a standard DE-15 VGA connector though. Some experimenting with a scope should tell you which pins are which.

I'd love to experiment with it again, but I don't have a Mac SE anymore and haven't been able to negotiate for one in acceptable condition.

did you ever test that video out to a vga monitor (or any monitor) successfully? Im sure I can find the pinout and make a connector.

I thought the limitations of the system was 4MB, this board's architecture lets you expand past 4MB>?

Blog Entries

I can see Bank Switching being helpful for overcoming memory limitations.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    did you ever test that video out to a vga monitor (or any monitor) successfully? Im sure I can find the pinout and make a connector.
    Yeah, I was able to get the external monitor to work. IIRC it was just mirroring the internal display though.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I thought the limitations of the system was 4MB, this board's architecture lets you expand past 4MB>?
    It's pretty trivial to expand system memory with an upgrade board like this, you have to remember that the 68030 is a 32 bit CPU which can address up to 4 GB of physical memory. They could have done several things to expand the memory in the system, including bank switching or using their own memory controller implemented in that big FPGA.