Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help me confirm my suspicions

Went through the same issue with a zorba computer seller. He seemed to think it was worth HUNDREDS!

a broken apple IIe shouldnt sell for more than $50 you add whatever dollar value you think the peripherals hold. All in all a nice setup if you can get it for a good price.

site duplicated posting again.

Ask him if there's a beep when he turns it on. If not it's likely the processor. Could be more than one problem though. I got a free II+ with a bad processor, bad RAM and another bad chip. Was fun troubleshooting it.

In that condition (I'm guessing the CPU isn't running), there is no good way to test the keyboard, num pad, or floppy drives.

All you know you are going to get that works is a monitor, power supply, and cosmetically ok case.

You already know you are going to have to invest some time and possibly money on the CPU - at worst replacing the entire motherboard. Replacing the keyboard would be a major annoyance and repairing or replacing floppy drives would be a bit of a headache.

So while it all looks very pretty, I agree it wouldn't be worth much.

yeah, value wise a IIe is like restoring your own corvette. Fun while you do it, but youll put more time and effort in than you could sell it for... but in 5 or so years, who knows.

get the whole bit for under $75 and Id say your doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    In that condition (I'm guessing the CPU isn't running), there is no good way to test the keyboard, num pad, or floppy drives.

All you know you are going to get that works is a monitor, power supply, and cosmetically ok case.
    Actually, the power supply could prove to be the problem. Failing filter capacitors causes excessive ripple on the regulated voltages and will prevent the mainboard functioning properly. There is a very high chance that a power supply of that age needs to be recapped even if it isn't the problem. It isn't an expensive or difficult task though.

as far as the cpu not working/running; absolutely.. does that mean the cpu is dead? No. some bad logic was causing the same thing on my II plus. I bought a device to check logic chips and determined a faulty ic. Replaced it and the unit was fine. A single bad logic chip was preventing reset to the cpu.

I was getting the same bars as well, ocassionally with a couple characters but mostly just 10 bars on the screen.

The seller was asking $200 but accepted another offer, less than $200 but higher than my offer of $80.

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make. I'll keep looking and one day I'll find a nice IIe.

Thanks again for your assistance.

-CH-

Dont feel bad about it, Seems you are the real victor in that purchase. That was way too high. keep your eyes open and youll find one. Again, I was given one a week ago. There are plenty of people out there who still toss these or sell them at tag sales (which this is now the prime season for) .. you'll get a good deal. Know your limits and stick to them.. Which is what you seem to be doing.

Agree, you didn't miss out on anything. A fully working one will fall in your lap eventually.