Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linux on a 486

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    I'm contemplating setting up a 486 as a linux system just for the hell of it. I use to have one some years back running Mandrake 6.1. I'm curious to see who else had one and what your system specs were?
    I compiled and booted the 4.11 kernel earlier this year on my ThinkPad 701C w/40MB of RAM, but all I had was busybox for a userspace. (I was curious if a modern kernel would start on a real 486)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarsMan2020 View Post
    I compiled and booted the 4.11 kernel earlier this year on my ThinkPad 701C w/40MB of RAM, but all I had was busybox for a userspace. (I was curious if a modern kernel would start on a real 486)
    Well Done. That's pretty cool. Did you compile it on a newer system?
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

I guess I'm in line with quite a few here.

We had a 486DX4 100 initially running Slackware. (Mid 1990s). I remember buying it and ensuring that we got a SCSI CD-ROM drive, as that was all that Slackware supported back then. Later we upgraded to Red Hat, and for a while it was sharing our dial-up line with a couple of Windows for Workgroups PCs. Back then it was a passing interest...we'd used Unix at uni and were interested in keeping in touch with it for work purposes. We ended up using OS/2 Warp 3 (and later Warp 4) as our main desktop operating system.

The next computer we got was a DELL Inspiron 7000 laptop with Celeron processor that we used as a desktop replacement. It was also running Red Hat linux, dual booting with Windows.

Yes, I cross compiled on a modern system. Then I copied the kernel image and initial ram fs image over to the 701C and used a DOS loader utility from back in the early days of Linux (which amazingly still works) to load and start the kernel from inside DOS.

For the Mandrake Linux user, be warned that Mandrake 9 has a bug where it will brick LG CD-ROM drives, if you decide to experiment with later versions than 6.

LG didn't implement the ATAPI spec properly on their drives; So when the Mandrake kernel sends the FLUSH_CACHE command, the LG drive interprets it as UPDATE_FIRMWARE and the EEPROM is overwritten with garbage thus rendering the drive useless.

I found this out the hard way back in the day and lost a good 32x LG drive.