Image Map Image Map

Thread: Anyone modded their Tandy 1100FD?

Default Anyone modded their Tandy 1100FD?

I've disassembled my 1100FD to replace the drive belt, which didn't work, I think I bought the wrong belt.

While I have been poking around in here, I've noticed there is a LOT of empty space to work with.

The obvious mod is to replace the (non-working) matsushita drive with an HXC/gotek device. I've picked up some flat ribbon cable connectors and will build an adapter, should be pretty straightforward. I am going to re-route the switches and usb cable and mount them in the metal back panel normally reserved for the 2400 baud modem, which I sadly don't have.

The second mod I'm considering is replacing the 6v lead-acid battery with a set of nimh or lithium ion cells. I expect the charging circuitry will be incompatible and probably blow the battery up, which would really be a poor outcome in all respects. The easiest way might be to use a cellphone battery pack that can be charged and discharged at the same time and add a little micro hdmi tail or port; would 5v output be sufficient? I'm not sure what the discharge profile looks like for a lead-acid battery, 5v may be too low.

Third mod would be adding a hard drive; I notice there's a set of solder pads for the 1100HD's hard drive; are these functional? Can an interface be added for xt-ide? Any chance that's an ISA bus? It's only 50 pins, so that's unlikely. It is, however, the number of pins on a compact flash card.

Please keep us all updated on how this turns out, especially the battery idea. I have 1100's and an 1110's and in a few of them Ive put new belts on the floppy drives, in an effort to keep them original, but I also have a couple where I retrofitted a belt-free floppy with a handcrafted adapter cable, based on docs that I found online, so I suppose that qualifies as a mod, although a kinda lame one.

I have another 1110 that has a bad HD and was unable to get even that to use a CF card, there was a thread here
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/i...p/t-43861.html
    that discussed the issues that seemed to be an obstacle to getting that mod working. Maybe a fresh pair of eyes...?

Quote Originally Posted by Juror22 View Post
    Please keep us all updated on how this turns out, especially the battery idea. I have 1100's and an 1110's and in a few of them Ive put new belts on the floppy drives, in an effort to keep them original, but I also have a couple where I retrofitted a belt-free floppy with a handcrafted adapter cable, based on docs that I found online, so I suppose that qualifies as a mod, although a kinda lame one.

I have another 1110 that has a bad HD and was unable to get even that to use a CF card, there was a thread here
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/i...p/t-43861.html
    that discussed the issues that seemed to be an obstacle to getting that mod working. Maybe a fresh pair of eyes...?
    That is interesting; the 1100HD connector near the hard drive looks NOTHING like the empty solder pads on my 1100FD. I wonder if the 1100FD solder pads have some other purpose? I should trace them.

5v seems to be insufficient voltage to run the 1100FD.

Blog Entries

SLA batteries have a cutoff voltage @ 5.5V or there about.
    Wanted: Any old clunky 286-P1 machine that has some kind of working battery or replaceable with off the shelf parts. Preferred: 10+lbs 386 machines.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedpneumatic View Post
    SLA batteries have a cutoff voltage @ 5.5V or there about.
    Yeah, that was my guess to begin with.

I'm going to pick up something like this and try again:

https://www.pololu.com/product/2566

It has built-in reverse current protection, which would keep the on-board SLA charging circuit from damaging the lion battery bank, right?