Image Map Image Map

Thread: Northstar Horizon motherboard & PSU schematic

Default Northstar Horizon motherboard & PSU schematic

Folks,

I have searched but can't find a circuit diagram/schematic for the Nortstar Horizon motherboard and PSU.

Con someone point me in the right direction please ?

Something went 'pop' on the motherboard on power up yesterday (in the regulators location) and the unit no longer boots from disc - although it powers on just fine and all the main supply voltages seem fine. I can't see anything blackened on the board so need to start tracing.
    Thankfully the CPU, memory and disk controller cards are all ok as I have tested them in one of my other machines.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by deramp5113 View Post
    Spot on - thanks Mike.

Usually its the tantalum capacitor behind the 78L12 regulator see: http://www.connect.gi/northstar.htm

It means taking out the motherboard and carefully removing the remains and replacing it.

Thanks for the tip - I'll take a look again this weekend.

As I said all the supply voltages seem fine - including the 12v and 5V supplies to the drives. I had assumed that perhaps as the flash was from the mainboard it had knocked out some of the logic on the mainboard. Having reviewed the schematic, there is actually not a lot on the mainboard that would affect CPU operation as most of the circuitry seems to be for the port I/O - other than clock generation ?

Quote Originally Posted by jimwatt View Post
    Usually its the tantalum capacitor behind the 78L12 regulator see: http://www.connect.gi/northstar.htm

It means taking out the motherboard and carefully removing the remains and replacing it.