Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A discussion on Scanners and Drivers

Blog Entries

Anyone tried one of these old scanners with a SCSI-to-USB adapter?

Blog Entries

Its a scsi scanner/printer combo?

Either/or - its been a while. I recently bought a Canon MF230 series mono laser printer/scanner with FAX, for just over $100. It can be networked as well as setup wireless or USB. The toner cartridge that come with it, installed, was a joke, but I found a new full one for about $20 somewhere. It can print both sides and paginate if you desire, and the output is crisp and clear. Not a bad deal for the money.

P.S. SCSI HP scanners are still out there.

Vuescan is a pretty good product. I use it with several 15+ year old scanners, but I use them all via USB on Windows 7. I haven't found it to be great at maintaining configurations between scanner changes or between uses, but it isn't difficult to configure at all and you can try it for free. A nice additional feature is that if you have software that you like already, but not drivers for your scanner, vuescan will install the drivers you need and your other software may work with that.

I had been using silverfast for a long time because of the features, but it's very specific to each scanner, so when it wouldn't support 2 different scanners from the same company that were barely any different... I switched to Vuescan, and 1 version of Vuescan works with all the scanners I have, which is at least 8, from 2 years old to 20. It is definitely worth trying if you have a scanner and can attach it to your windows 7 machine.

Quote Originally Posted by keury View Post
    Vuescan is a pretty good product. I use it with several 15+ year old scanners, but I use them all via USB on Windows 7. I haven't found it to be great at maintaining configurations between scanner changes or between uses, but it isn't difficult to configure at all and you can try it for free. A nice additional feature is that if you have software that you like already, but not drivers for your scanner, vuescan will install the drivers you need and your other software may work with that.

I had been using silverfast for a long time because of the features, but it's very specific to each scanner, so when it wouldn't support 2 different scanners from the same company that were barely any different... I switched to Vuescan, and 1 version of Vuescan works with all the scanners I have, which is at least 8, from 2 years old to 20. It is definitely worth trying if you have a scanner and can attach it to your windows 7 machine.
    definitely sounds like a good product. This is what I need. honestly my idea was to just pick one of the many usb scanners I find being thrown out and use it. Sounds like I will be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Its a scsi scanner/printer combo?

Either/or - its been a while. I recently bought a Canon MF230 series mono laser printer/scanner with FAX, for just over $100. It can be networked as well as setup wireless or USB. The toner cartridge that come with it, installed, was a joke, but I found a new full one for about $20 somewhere. It can print both sides and paginate if you desire, and the output is crisp and clear. Not a bad deal for the money.

P.S. SCSI HP scanners are still out there.
    You mean you got 200 pages and it was out of toner. EVERYONE does this, toner or ink the one you get when you buy it is just a "free trial" its a joke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Its not the speed that matters, its continued support. this is a vintage computing forum.. Keeping hardware alive well past its prime is the idea. For example I had an original parallel b/w Connectix quick cam. Why couldnt I have that connected to my modern pc with usage in a program like ispyconnect?
    I use vintage scanners on vintage machines (SCSI models so I can use them on old Macs) but I also like using modernish USB based scanners on systems with 64 bit OS that the manufacturer quit making drivers for.

I also have a few handheld scanners that needed their own ISA interface cards, those were fun but limited.

Speaking of handscanners back in the 90's I purchased a commercial app called Halo Desktop Imager from Media Cybernetics since it stitched multiple scans into one good one using hand scanners. I still have the manual but lost the floppy disks (v1.02.07). Anybody happen to have that program?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I use vintage scanners on vintage machines (SCSI models so I can use them on old Macs) but I also like using modernish USB based scanners on systems with 64 bit OS that the manufacturer quit making drivers for.

I also have a few handheld scanners that needed their own ISA interface cards, those were fun but limited.

Speaking of handscanners back in the 90's I purchased a commercial app called Halo Desktop Imager from Media Cybernetics since it stitched multiple scans into one good one using hand scanners. I still have the manual but lost the floppy disks (v1.02.07). Anybody happen to have that program?
    From what I remember in the early 90's alot of the handscan units came with software that stiched the images together (to varying success of course). I remember my first, the el cheapo 256 grey scale parallel scanner and is dos application (nothing against dos, but the program was garbage...) I remember it only output to TIF, and that was my first experience with Tif files.. must have been 92 or 93 at the time. Had some much fun scanning pictures of friends and editing them onto different people bodies and backgrounds,, it was so easy in greyscale... ahh what fun.

Blog Entries

Anyone want a monochrome ScanMan? Comes with ISA interface card.

Thanks , but I had my fun. Ill stick to flatbed units at this point.