Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the actual physical dimensions of the Macintosh SE monitor?

Default What are the actual physical dimensions of the Macintosh SE monitor?

Resolution of 512x342 isn't a straightforward screen ratio. Closest I can get is 256 : 171, but I'm not sure if the pixels are square or not, so I can't really extrapolate that into physical screen dimensions.

If I assume they're square, and the screen ratio is the same as resolution ratio, and the diagonal measurement is actually 9" exactly, I get approximately 7.44 by 4.97 inches.

Does that seem about right?

2. Default

The dots are square. The screen is designed to be 72 dpi, so that should give you your answer.

So 7.111"4.750", and 8.552" diagonally. That makes a lot of sense for a 9" monitor, no matter where they measured the 9" on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    So 7.111"4.750", and 8.552" diagonally. That makes a lot of sense for a 9" monitor, no matter where they measured the 9" on that one.
    I picked up a 4:3 LCD that's 7.4" x 5.4" that I hope will fit well.

Planning on turning an old ruined Mac SE/30 into a generic Apple emulation machine with a Raspberry Pi.

Please let us know how it works out. I've got a similar machine, I think it's a Classic, that the tube neck is broken. I was thinking it might make a fun project to turn it into something like that...

The physical dimensions of the CRT inside the SE/30 are very close to 8.5" x 6.25". The small LCD panel I ordered should fit absolutely perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    The physical dimensions of the CRT inside the SE/30 are very close to 8.5" x 6.25". The small LCD panel I ordered should fit absolutely perfectly.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/EYOYO-S801H...6/153001731546

That's the LCD monitor I purchased. It is .25" taller than the tube in the machine but I believe there is sufficient space for it. Built-in stereo speakers, which is nice. Might sound crappy from inside the machine but I will just re-route them if I have to. I also think I will add a breakout panel on the back of the machine to also let it function as a tiny little monitor for VGA/composite/RCA connections for additional utility. The buttons will be hard to get to, I will see what I can do about that. I might solder a new set of buttons to the monitor board and let them stick out of the front of the soon-to-be-nonfunctional floppy disk drive.

The dimensions of the viewable area of this panel are 6.8" x 5.1", compared to the 7.111" x 4.750" mentioned previously. It's nice that the monitor supports 1024x768; doubling the 512x342 of the Mac screen will mean it simply doubles the pixels, and should be nice and clear. Any full-screen graphics will probably be slightly obscured on the top and bottom edges, we'll see how that goes.

I like this project, curious to see how it works out. Was thinking of doing something like this to a kaypro or compaq portable. (probably the kaypro, two units have slight burn in)

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    The dimensions of the viewable area of this panel are 6.8" x 5.1", compared to the 7.111" x 4.750" mentioned previously. It's nice that the monitor supports 1024x768; doubling the 512x342 of the Mac screen will mean it simply doubles the pixels, and should be nice and clear. Any full-screen graphics will probably be slightly obscured on the top and bottom edges, we'll see how that goes.
    Remember that CRT monitors aren't flat on the edges, so you're going to have holes on the sides with the LCD panel.

You can do like the arcade CRT to LCD monitor conversions and make cutouts to fill in the gaps and sink the LCD screen farther in to account for any size discrepancies.

If you're super ambitious, the best way to do it, I think, is to separate the CRT between base and funnel. Then you can mount the LCD behind the original CRT face.