Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the actual physical dimensions of the Macintosh SE monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    If you're super ambitious, the best way to do it, I think, is to separate the CRT between base and funnel. Then you can mount the LCD behind the original CRT face.
    That LCD monitor is an excellent fit. Maybe tomorrow I'll have something to show.

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    That LCD monitor is an excellent fit. Maybe tomorrow I'll have something to show.
    Got the LCD panel fit, but it's a little uglier than I had hoped, the white lettering is a little obnoxious tbh. Vertical centering is pretty off, may not worry too much about that.

IMG_20180506_133657934.jpg

IMG_20180506_134045952.jpg

I took the back off the LCD panel and clipped the corners off, they were just slightly too large to fit between the screw posts and didn't fit well.

I installed the monitor mounting screws, and wrapped the flexible wire around the left-most screw, stretched it over to the rightmost screw, and then wrapped it around on that end. Seems to work perfectly, although the display can slide left/right somewhat.

The LCD panel had speakers. I plan on using extending the wires and re positioning elsewhere in the case for built-in audio.

I also will be repositioning the LCD front panel buttons under the bottom chin of the Mac SE/30. This will involve drilling some holes and whatnot in the mac so that may qualify as gore/not safe for work to some people!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Got the LCD panel fit, but it's a little uglier than I had hoped, the white lettering is a little obnoxious tbh.
    Maybe you could paint over that?

I would try and make or get yourself some type of plastic border and paint it to match the mac's exterior color. This is where owning a 3d printer would be useful. Either way, you doing this project is opening up doors for future compact mac repairs. I would worry about the aesthetics after you have everything tweaked the way you want it.

In my opinion, running the control pcb (lcd buttons) outside the mac and maybe have it slightly hidden ad behind the unit on a panel, behind the handle or maybe on the side of the unit. I think that might look alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I would try and make or get yourself some type of plastic border and paint it to match the mac's exterior color. This is where owning a 3d printer would be useful. Either way, you doing this project is opening up doors for future compact mac repairs. I would worry about the aesthetics after you have everything tweaked the way you want it.

In my opinion, running the control pcb (lcd buttons) outside the mac and maybe have it slightly hidden ad behind the unit on a panel, behind the handle or maybe on the side of the unit. I think that might look alot better.
    THis isn't repairing a mac, the mac is dead, dead, dead. I'm repurposing it using a raspberry pi or intel NUC as the processing unit.

Blog Entries

If you're super ambitious, the best way to do it, I think, is to separate the CRT between base and funnel. Then you can mount the LCD behind the original CRT face.
    I still think this is the way to go, if it will fit.

Got an angle grinder? You can cut CRT glass with a tile cutting disc. Just make sure to fill it with air first.

I still think this is the way to go, if it will fit.

Got an angle grinder? You can cut CRT glass with a tile cutting disc. Just make sure to fill it with air first.
    I was contemplating this today, I just don't think the LCD will be very visible through the CRT, isn't there a phosphor coating in there? Is that easy to clean off?

Blog Entries

Yes. Wipe it off with dish soap. The LCD will be very visible. If you paint over or mask off anything you don't want to see, it won't be very visible.

I've long heard stories of tubes that will separate at the face just by letting air in. I have yet to see one that actually did this. Cut the funnel about an inch back from where the face meets the funnel. Be very gentle. Glass is glass and CRT glass even moreso. Cutting it makes it break where you don't want it broken. But with care this can be done cleanly.

Don't let the air in the tube the conventional way. Drill a small hole where the second anode button is. Else you could scratch the inside of the face with flying electron gun bits. This isn't an issue if you have a shadow mask, but I presume this is a monochrome CRT which doesn't.

Obviously the standard safety procedures apply. Discharge the tube and let air in before doing any cutting.

Oh and if this is a good working CRT, please find someone with a dead one to trade.

Yes. Wipe it off with dish soap. The LCD will be very visible. If you paint over or mask off anything you don't want to see, it won't be very visible.

I've long heard stories of tubes that will separate at the face just by letting air in. I have yet to see one that actually did this. Cut the funnel about an inch back from where the face meets the funnel. Be very gentle. Glass is glass and CRT glass even moreso. Cutting it makes it break where you don't want it broken. But with care this can be done cleanly.

Don't let the air in the tube the conventional way. Drill a small hole where the second anode button is. Else you could scratch the inside of the face with flying electron gun bits. This isn't an issue if you have a shadow mask, but I presume this is a monochrome CRT which doesn't.

Obviously the standard safety procedures apply. Discharge the tube and let air in before doing any cutting.

Oh and if this is a good working CRT, please find someone with a dead one to trade.
    I'm not going to cut the CRT, but you did give me inspiration for an EXCELLENT alternative. I've created a separate thread for my SE/30 retrofit project now.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...modern-mini-pc