Image Map Image Map

Thread: Epson Equity LT setup software

Default Epson Equity LT setup software

So, I may or may not have a freebie Epson Equity LT laptop coming in, and the RTC's gone. This is a V30 XT-class with AT-style CMOS setup and i need either the OEM setup software or a generic SETUP program that's known to work with it - anyone have any leads? thanks!

I have the original setup disks for it and will be happy to get copies to you. The clock battery is easy to replace as well. There is not much to configure on it though. The HDD settings are not configurable and the LLF utility was purposefully removed from the distributed OS, but if you do need to format a disk, I have a workaround.

That'd be awesome, thanks! This machine is in pretty poor shape (for some reason it apparently refuses to post if the HDD controller board is connected and the LCD assembly is in pieces) but even if I can't get it going it'll make a fine donor machine if do get a working one.

Is that 2 separate issues? It won't boot with the controller installed, and the LCD assembly is in pieces?
    The LCD arms were pretty poorly designed, and are often broken, especially the right one. I broke mine when it was new within the first 6 months and held it together with zip ties. The HDD controller has always been pretty solid though. Typically if it can't detect a hard drive, or if the hard drive fails with 1701 it will fail back to 'HDD is disabled' mode and tell you to turn it on, but let you continue to boot from a floppy.

I also have the original diagnostics tools if you can still boot from a floppy.

Yup, two separate ones. From what I can tell this thing is a bit like the IBM 5140 in that the LCD can be removed gracefully? Unfortunately what I know right now is limited, I have pics of the machine but I'm still waiting to see if the friend can ship it to me.

It is actually quite easy to work on, there just aren't many things you can do to it. The screen is easily removed, and there were actually 2 different versions, but I've only ever seen the blue/white backlit version. The other, I think, is amber or similar and is not backlit and was supposed to be difficult to read.

There are 2 expansion slots. One is usually used for the HDD controller, and occasionally the second will have a modem. The slots are small, but it's my understanding that they are pin for pin identical to an 8 bit ISA slot, which makes me think it would be possible to build an XT-IDE or XT-CF card for it without a tremendous amount of effort. I plan to try it eventually, but just haven't had time.

I worked with the guy that built the DREM, RLL HDD Emulator to get his emulator to work with it, but you still need the HDD controller and you are still limited to 20MB, and it is a little expensive at $250.

The Equity LT is my favorite vintage machine, but it doesn't get much attention so I get excited when someone else finds interest in it.

No doubt about it! I love early laptops - one of my other systems of it's kind is a Data General One that's a former Micropro tester system. I'm hoping I can get this one going strong again...and if that doesn't work out, it's parts can always breath new life into a different Equity LT in need of them! That note about the HDD controller being essentially plain ISA in terms of pinout is interesting and will likely help in the troubleshooting process.