Image Map Image Map

Thread: Looking for DC2.SYS

Default Looking for DC2.SYS

I'm trying to install more that 3 floppies on my tweener 486.
    So I'm looking for a copy of DC2.SYS that may help me override the BIOS's 2 drive limit.
    Thanks in advance.

Philip
    retro computing at: www.neoncluster.com ....is dead

It is mentioned in the following John Eliott page:

https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/floppies.html

He says:
    I know of nowhere where you can download DC2.SYS, and since it's copyrighted software I can't offer it for download on this site.
    maybe you can try to contact him and ask.

Blog Entries

...or you can try the Wonder34 driver that I posted about some time ago. It's probably related, as it was distributed under various other names by Tulin, Ultrastor, etc... It might well work on a 486.

Quote Originally Posted by Nama View Post
    So I'm looking for a copy of DC2.SYS that may help me override the BIOS's 2 drive limit.
    Thanks in advance.

Philip
    I'd be interested to know how this goes Philip. I have TWO tweeners to accommodate my 3 types (360k, 1.2MB and 1.44MB) of PC disks. They all share a single mouse, keyboard and monitor which makes things easier.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Hi Chuck,
    Yes, I've already downloaded your Wonder32 files (Thanks!), but have not yet tried it as I'm still looking for a second controller card.

Tezza,
    I think I have a 50/50 chance of getting this working. I already have a Adaptec AHA 1522A controller with an onboard BIOs and which can be jumpered to a second I/O address, So I'm looking for another one of these cards. Hopefully once I fine one I can get it all setup and working. My plan is 3.5 and 5.25 (HD) on one controller and 5.25 (360k) and 8" drive on the other. Presently I have to open the machine up each time I want to change drives which is a bit f a pain.

Blog Entries

It's also worth noting that certain direct-access utilities, such as ImageDisk, don't care about the BIOS.

If you're just interested in DOS access to, say, a 360K drive, I've probably got a driver that doesn't use the BIOS to do that.

Just pointing out that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Have you considered installing an LS-120 'Super Floppy' drive on the IDE bus?

That's what I use for 3.5" 1.44MB disks in my tweener, A and B are 5.25".

Hi Chuck,
    I basically only use the machine in DOS (occasionally in windows 3.1 to sometimes move a lot of file around). Any drivers you can provide that may help would be great.

Philip

Hi Chuck,
    I basically only use the machine in DOS (occasionally in windows 3.1 to sometimes move a lot of file around). Any drivers you can provide that may help would be great.

Philip
    FWIW, I've always just used a hardware switch and driver.sys; avoids all that primary/secondary etc. complication.