Image Map Image Map

Thread: Did anyone see my lunchbox?

Default Did anyone see my lunchbox?

I used to have this huge issue of computer shopper, I think it was 1993 edition. I had it until someone tossed it on me in the mid 2000's. Anyway, I used to love going back and looking at everything for sale in it at the time. Anyway What I remember seeing in an add and always wanting was this 486 luggable/lunchbox computer. About the size of a compaq portable III. The best thing about it is it had a color 640 x 480 vga CRT and could take full size cards and drives.

I have never seen these things in the real world. I know there was a market for these things, which crossed over into industrial computers and ruggedized units but where did they go? I would love to have one of these today!

Anyone ever see one, own one or have a story about one?

Blog Entries

Do a search for Dolch which made units in that form factor with CPUs ranging from 286 to Pentium II. I think only a few thousand were made every year so it will take a bit of luck to find one. Very good boxes to carry a single needed card around.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/d...Dolch-PAC-486/

https://jcs.org/2018/03/20/dolch64

Definitely a neat lunchbox pc, but this whole line seems to use LCD not CRT.

Blog Entries

The earliest Dolch models used plasma displays, just like the Compaq Portable III. Having half the internal space devoted to a tiny CRT was something all manufacturers got away from as soon as possible.

Oh I know, its a heavy poor design. But I have seen photos that it existed and just wonder where they went. I have seen some pretty strange and outdated tech still alive and well in the Military. I wonder if they ever used any...

Blog Entries

Don't see many lunchboxes with CRTs, Compaq Portable Plus and IBM 5155 are two that I have. Both use monochrome CRT's.
    Never heard of a unit with a colour VGA CRT - only ever seen color LCD's like my Compaq 486C, or VGA Plasma panels (like the Toshiba T3xxxx and T5xxx range).
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

I've seen a Siemens with a colour CRT. It was either a 386 or 486, but may not exist in the wild outside Germany.

AlexC do you remember the model? It would be interesting to see a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    AlexC do you remember the model? It would be interesting to see a picture.
    No, but there was one on ebay.de last year with photos. It was definitely VGA colour CRT. Unfortunately I can't get that site to show more than three months' previous/sold listings.