Image Map Image Map

Thread: ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder hanging

Default ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder hanging

After deciding to upgrade my video card to support late 1990s-to-2000s-era video games, I've run into a bit of a problem.

My "new" ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder (7200 series retroactively) has decided not to work in Windows 98SE. It works just fine during booting, along with Windows safe mode and basic VGA drivers. Any attempt to use ATI-branded drivers causes the system to halt just before loading the GUI. I removed my previous installation of Win98SE to see if the drivers got discombobulated, but I have tried a fresh Win98SE install, along with 4 different versions of installations, all with no success. I'm trying to understand where the problem is. I've heard some rather disparaging remarks about ATI's video cards in the past, but I'm hoping that it's just down to driver error and my card is just fine.

I installed a pin header in the unpopulated solder spaces earlier today to take advantage of the VIP feature connector for my VFX-1 Headgear VR Headset, but I don't think I affected anything, really.

It's not retroactively renamed, it's based on the Radeon 7200. To make AIW cards, ATI took stock designs and integrated TV tuner circuitry onto them.

The card not working when drivers are installed is generally indication of hardware issues. I would start with swapping the PSU and checking the RAM with Memtest to ensure those parts are good. If those don't help, try the card in a different motherboard to rule out the rest of the system.

My ATI AIW was a nosebleed right out of the box. IIRC, the tech support center is/was in Canada and had no toll free line. The plan was to bring the machine up in 640 x 480 x 16 basic VGA mode which would release the OS's grip on the driver files. You were supposed to then delete all old driver files, install the new files, and reboot. After multiple reboots, drivers unloaded, reloaded, updated, and more spent on long distance calls to ATI tech support than I paid for the card, I threw in the towel. It would only work reliably in default 640 x 480 x 16 VGA mode.

Years later while discussing the adventure with a co-worker he related a similar struggle but said he got his to finally work by bringing the machine up in "safe mode" before deleting the old drivers and installing the new. Funny that ATI never mentioned that.

You should try that step before giving up. By the time I was told it worked for someone else the card and machine was long gone so I can't say it would have made mine all better. But it is worth a shot.

Good Luck!
    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

Ok, I rolled back the registry to what seems to be the starting point for this Windows installation this time, because I didn't see any display drivers to uninstall, and it started with the Windows 98 Welcome Guide window seen at initial startup.

I installed Direct X 9.0c from December 2006, and installed the latest/final ATI Catalyst drivers, and it seemed to work upon restart, until Windows started building the driver database, then BAM, black screen, and then a frozen mouse cursor against black.

I hit the reset button on the machine, and the booting process gets past everything, until it's time to load the GUI, when it hangs again on a black screen.

Is this card toast?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
    I installed a pin header in the unpopulated solder spaces earlier today to take advantage of the VIP feature connector for my VFX-1 Headgear VR Headset, but I don't think I affected anything, really.
    I don't have an answer for your driver issue, but please post up if this works! A lot of cards from that era had non-compliant or buggy VESA headers that the VFX-1 just plain won't work with. I'm running a Rage II+ with mine.