Image Map Image Map

Thread: ASUS P55TP4 CPU Upgrade to K6-300AFR possible ?

Default ASUS P55TP4 CPU Upgrade to K6-300AFR possible ?

I already knew what ASUS itself wrote about the CPU compatibility (with the latest BIOS 0302), best CPU would be Pentium 200.
    If I like to get "higher" with this mainboard, I have to look for a Pentium Overdrive MMX (200Mhz, too). This would be - compared to the Pentium 200 - not really worth to be done.
    But I read also about the AMD K6-300 (not K6-II, not K6-III) which should operate with 3.3V, too. It is PIN-compatible with the Pentium.
    Does anybody tried this (upgrading to a K6-300) ?

P.S.: Edited later.... I was wrong with the assumption about Vcore 3.3V - yes, there was the AMD K6-233 which operates with enough cooling with Vcore 3.3V also. The AMD K6-300 has a Vcore of 2.2V ... so I will have just bad luck with that.
    Last edited by Peter z80.eu; May 4th, 2018 at 12:41 PM.

The only way you'll get over 200 MHz on that board is with one of those Evergreen Spectra upgrade interposers. According to various specs on the web, that board maxes out on a 3x multiplier.

Even if the board offered a 75 MHz bus speed, it'd top out at 225 MHz, and a generic Pentium 200 can run at that speed all day with proper cooling.

Actually the board goes to a 3.5x multiplier (1.5 = 3.5)

Issue is voltage and the amp rating of the mobo
    A k6-233 uses a 3.2/3.3 volt supply and would work but only if the motherboard does not use linear power regulation (hot plates)

I don't know why you think that 1.5 multiplier equals 3.5, because it doesn't. If it behaves like so, it's a bug and probably going to be unstable.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/43...?page=7#manual

It also looks like 66 MHz is the fastest bus speed it supports, so you're going to need one of those interposers from Evergreen or Powerleap to get anywhere beyond 200 MHz.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/43...page=10#manual

ASUS themselves state the fastest CPU supported is 200 MHz.