Image Map Image Map

Thread: Sanyo MBC 775 Boot disk availability

Default Sanyo MBC 775 Boot disk availability

I'm looking to get a boot disk or really any software for a 775. Anyone know where I could pick some up? I am new and I've googled but haven't found any good vendors.

Here are a couple of images.

http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/sanyo/

Larry

Blog Entries

If those don't work, I've probably got a couple.

Sigh. The 775, like the 555 is only PC-compatible "sort-of". Some stuff works, much does not.

So standard MS-DOS won't work?

Blog Entries

Standard MS-DOS, particularly MS-DOS around 2.11 should work. The problem is hardware incompatibility--programs that stick with plain BIOS and MS-DOS system calls should be fine, but anything that hits the hardware directly can have problems (e.g. Microsoft Flight Simulator).

Consider the MBC 775, a MBC-555 in a luggable 40 lb. package.

One potential fly in the ointment that applies to the 555 might also apply to the 775--the 720K 5.25" drive option, rather than the standard 360K drive.

I have a Sanyo MBC-885, which I think is just the desktop version of the MBC-775.
    The motherboard looks to be a fairly standard XT board, with a speed selection switch
    for 4.77/8.00 MHZ.
    I've used MS-DOS 3.3 and it ran okay, although I did not try running many programs to
    see if there were any incompatibilities.

I got a boot disk from a guy on ebay and it has 3.31 on it and it works but he said he was sending a 2.11 which is what it came with.

Alright, just picked up one of these locally. Wanted to say thanks for the link to the boot disks! It included one DOS 2.11 boot disk, but it's always good to have images of other appropriate disks.

One question, if anyone happens to know... I can hear a hard drive starting to spin up when I turn it on, then it stops spinning shortly thereafter; it won't boot to C, and booting from a DOS 3.3 disk, it says "not ready error" when trying to do anything with C. Anyone have any ideas before I figure out how to pop this puppy open?

Edit: Duh. Ran fdisk, "No fixed disk present." I'm guessing the hard drive is either dead-dead-dead, or unplugged.

Edit 2: Opened it up, has an NCL 5427 MFM hard drive controller, with the Kyocera KC-20B hard drive shoehorned in behind the floppies. Checked all the cables, re-seated the ISA card, no help.

Also has an AST "Six Pak Plus" card with serial port, real-time clock (thankfully prior owner removed the battery, so no worry about leakage,) and more RAM. It reads 576 KB on boot, without the Six Pack, it reads 384 KB. 192 KB seems like an odd number for an add-in board to have, I'll have to check all the chips to be sure.

Of note, the person I purchased this from was the original 1985 purchaser! He said he ran an "external" hard drive on it, but that died long ago - the hard drive controller did have cables going out the back, too.
    Last edited by Anonymous Freak; September 14th, 2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Adding more detail.
    Apple ][+ through Retina MacBook Pro, 5150 PC through Core i7 8870/GeForce GTX 1080Ti and quad Itanium 9150M, and many in between.
    Newton, Palm 1000, Palm V, N-Gage, Tapwave Zodiac, iPhone, iPhone X.
    Intellivision, Game Boy through 3DS, Wii, XBone