Image Map Image Map

Thread: Will an AT or Baby AT board mount in an IBM 5160?

Default Will an AT or Baby AT board mount in an IBM 5160?

I like the way these computers look, and want to build a DOS gaming machine in one.

But since later games want faster hardware I'll need to upgrade the system.

Will I be able to properly mount an AT or Baby AT motherboard in there and have the keyboard port and expansion slots line up?

Blog Entries

IIRC the XT standard is basically the same as the AT, so yes a AT or baby AT board should fit into a 5160 case just fine. But make sure it's a 5160 case and not a 5150, they too look very much the same, but the 5150 was not quite the same layout as the 5160 and beyond.

EDIT: Baby AT form factor boards should fit just fine in a 5160 chassis. AT boards probably won't.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    IIRC the XT standard is basically the same as the AT, so yes a AT or baby AT board should fit into a 5160 case just fine. But make sure it's a 5160 case and not a 5150, they too look very much the same, but the 5150 was not quite the same layout as the 5160 and beyond.
    Yes, I have a 5150 already and have been trying to get a ITX board working in it, but I'm running into driver issues.

I think a 5160 with a super socket 7 or slot 1 board is the answer.

Blog Entries

I think the OP is referring to a generic AT board, not an original IBM AT board. For clone boards, YMMV. The most common issue is that the keyboard port doesn't line up.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I think the OP is referring to a generic AT board, not an original IBM AT board.
    Correct.

For clone boards, YMMV. The most common issue is that the keyboard port doesn't line up.
    I may be able to get around that using USB.

Anyone know what the latest or most advanced Baby AT motherboard was?

Blog Entries

I think the OP is referring to a generic AT board, not an original IBM AT board. For clone boards, YMMV. The most common issue is that the keyboard port doesn't line up.
    Right, when I said AT, I meant the AT form factor boards and not the IBM AT board (which will not fit into a 5160 chassis). But come to think of it, what I really meant was the baby AT form factor alone. That should have no issue fitting into a 5160 chassis.

ATX or ITX won't fit in those chassis (5150/5160) without some modification to the chassis, most notably the cutout for the I/O on the back of the board.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Flare View Post
    Yes, I have a 5150 already and have been trying to get a ITX board working in it, but I'm running into driver issues.
    I am having trouble understanding this statement. What do drivers have to do with getting a board to physically fit into a chassis?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Flare View Post
    Correct.

I may be able to get around that using USB.

Anyone know what the latest or most advanced Baby AT motherboard was?
    The latest I have to hand is a TMC AI6NL (440LX chipset, Pentium II).

Right, when I said AT, I meant the AT form factor boards and not the IBM AT board (which will not fit into a 5160 chassis). But come to think of it, what I really meant was the baby AT form factor alone. That should have no issue fitting into a 5160 chassis.

ATX or ITX won't fit in those chassis (5150/5160) without some modification to the chassis, most notably the cutout for the I/O on the back of the board.
    ITX does, you can rotate it 90 degrees and the I/O ports will face the side with enough room to route the cables through the expansion slots.

I am having trouble understanding this statement. What do drivers have to do with getting a board to physically fit into a chassis?
    Nothing, sorry. My previous attempt at gaming with a classic IBM was to use an ITX board inside, but DOS games are having problems with PCI sound cards.

The Baby AT form factor was created as a way to fit a 286 or higher motherboard into an IBM XT (or XT-clone) case. The original IBM AT used both a larger motherboard and taller expansion cards that wouldn't fit, but after a few years, most aftermarket manufacturers started producing smaller "baby" AT-class motherboards and cards that would fit in an XT case.

But eventually many Baby AT boards deviated enough from the original specification that they would no longer fit in an original XT case, at least without some metalwork, due to the CPU and/or RAM slots interfering with the drive bays.