Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ibm pc at parity check

Quote Originally Posted by jacobtohahn View Post
    I am sure that I got the IBM BIOS, from http://minuszerodegrees.net/bios/BIO...ARIATION_1.zip.
    So, a type 1 motherboard, and you have upgraded the motherboard BIOS to the final revision.
    Do you recall experiencing the symptom before that upgrade ?

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    The hard drive appears to be the infamous CMI 6426 - see [here].
    Still works now . Any software that I can use to occasionally backup the drive to a folder on the 100MB HardCard (D drive) just in case?

And if a chip, it isn't necessarily a RAM chip. For example, it could be chip/s that are involved in parity calculation/comparison.
    Hoping that’s not what it is!! These cards are pretty rare and expensive. If that is the issue I’d have to change to a RAMpage AT.

Prior to going down that (expensive) route, I suggest:
    * Re-seat all socketed chips in case of a poor electrical connection.
    * Per what mikey99 wrote, run a RAM diagnostic (such as CheckIt). AST may have supplied something specifically for the card.
    I’ll reseat the chips after running CheckIt.

So, a type 1 motherboard, and you have upgraded the motherboard BIOS to the final revision.
    Do you recall experiencing the symptom before that upgrade ?
    Not sure. I still have the old ROMs so I could try the old bios again. If that’s the issue then I don’t know how I’d use the 2.5” drive I installed afterwards. Probably using a 3rd party bios.

And if a chip, it isn't necessarily a RAM chip. For example, it could be chip/s that are involved in parity calculation/comparison.
    Hoping thatís not what it is!! These cards are pretty rare and expensive. If that is the issue Iíd have to change to a RAMpage AT.
    If so, you have the option of running the card with its parity checking turned off. Not nice, but still an option.

Not sure. I still have the old ROMs so I could try the old bios again.
    It would be good to rule the BIOS upgrade out of the 'possible cause' list.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7
    The hard drive appears to be the infamous CMI 6426 - see [here].
    Still works now .
    If that changes, a burial at sea will be very appropriate.

If that changes, a burial at sea will be very appropriate.
    Haha, I actually have 2 of those hard drives and both work fine.

SOLVED! It was the BIOS. I replaced it with the AMI BIOS and it works like a charm.

SOLVED! It was the BIOS. I replaced it with the AMI BIOS and it works like a charm.
    And no, nevermind then. After a few hours of operation it did the exact same thing. I think that I should turn off parity checking.

I think that I should turn off parity checking.
    If the parity generation/checking circuitry is working properly, then there is a RAM related problem. If so, the symptom may simply change to 'DOS just locked up' or 'My running program just locked up'.

The RAM test done by the power-on self test is rudimentary - just a confidence thing. How did the running of the RAM test in CheckIt go ?

If the parity generation/checking circuitry is working properly, then there is a RAM related problem. If so, the symptom may simply change to 'DOS just locked up' or 'My running program just locked up'.

The RAM test done by the power-on self test is rudimentary - just a confidence thing. How did the running of the RAM test in CheckIt go ?
    The CheckIt test passed completely fine. I’ll test without parity checking and see if DOS locks up.
    EDIT: Still happening even without Parity checking enabled.
    EDIT 2: I’m almost sure it’s the card. I’m going to buy a RAMPage AT and use it instead.
    EDIT 3: After even more testing, I’ve found that it is actually the onboard RAM itself. I have a spare 5170 board that I swapped the RAM from. Testing now.
    EDIT 4: Still getting it even with new RAM. That narrows it down to the motherboard parity circuitry. I will swap out the entire board tomorrow. The board is untested but seemingly working.

Also, here’s a picture of the screen with the error:
    4E69E655-7BE0-497C-BFE3-34B967A9EF01.jpg
    Last edited by jacobtohahn; May 22nd, 2018 at 08:08 PM.