Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ibm pc at parity check

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    But the POST does not break its RAM count-up figures into base and expansion; it just has the one count.
    Or are you making an assumption ?
    It does not. However, I am using the AMI BIOS, which shows the system stats both in the setup menu and right when it first boots up. It splits it into expansion and base.

2. Default

Ah, and another thing I just remembered: If you know the normal sound your machine makes while booting, you could tell whether it was infected with ParityBoot or not. Back then, I had an IBM PS/2 machine (386). Normally on power up, after the RAM test ended, it seek-tested the floppy once ("brrrrt"), beeped (POST OK), then tried to boot from the floppy ("brrt") and finally booted from the HD. When the machine was infected, you got two identical drive seek sounds instead of one after the POST beep (ParityBoot becoming active, searching for a floppy to infect). Funny, whenever I heard those two seek sounds instead of one, I knew it was time to get the F-PROT boot disk out again, do an FDISK /MBR and scan my floppies... . Let me know if you find an ParityBoot infection on this machine, I'd be very surprised if the cause for these errors is something else.

I wonder if the 'Incompetent' virus ever existed:

By your incompetent actions, I, the computer, have now deduced that the probability of you accidentally damaging the operating system or data is high.
    Shutting myself down ...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by diskettenfett View Post
    Ah, and another thing I just remembered: If you know the normal sound your machine makes while booting, you could tell whether it was infected with ParityBoot or not. Back then, I had an IBM PS/2 machine (386). Normally on power up, after the RAM test ended, it seek-tested the floppy once ("brrrrt"), beeped (POST OK), then tried to boot from the floppy ("brrt") and finally booted from the HD. When the machine was infected, you got two identical drive seek sounds instead of one after the POST beep (ParityBoot becoming active, searching for a floppy to infect). Funny, whenever I heard those two seek sounds instead of one, I knew it was time to get the F-PROT boot disk out again, do an FDISK /MBR and scan my floppies... . Let me know if you find an ParityBoot infection on this machine, I'd be very surprised if the cause for these errors is something else.
    Thanks for the info! I’m away from home for the weekend, but I think I do recall two searches instead of one. I’ll disinfect when I get home, and I also have a video on another device of the startup (that I was going to share with a friend) that I can check tomorrow to see if it does search twice. Thanks for all the info, you saved me hours!

5. Default

image.jpg
    Turns out that Parity Boot was in fact the issue. I’ll try to disinfect it.