Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of selling my Mark-8 boards

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I was thinking about the obscene option. Just see what goes down. I'm wondering though, is the process any different w/Paypal with large dollar transactions? Is there any additional risk when you get over several thousand dollars?
    Just remember that it's essentially public record that you purchased the boards for around $1500. I'd guess most of the people interested in buying them are aware of that. That will probably affect the top end of what you can get from them -- other hobbyists now know what they've sold for in an open, public auction that was fairly well advertised due to being linked from these forums and elsewhere. If you've seriously gotten a 5-figure offer, you'd be a fool to not take it, in my opinion.

If you don't sell a lot, PayPal will likely hold the funds for X days. I've heard of that happening but I've had a verified seller account for so long I don't know that I've ever had to deal with it.

There is always risk when going the eBay/PayPal route, or indeed when accepting anything other than cash. You are essentially depending on the buyer to not be a scammer or immoral individual. PayPal cases are trivial to take advantage of, and if the item is purchased with a credit card, getting the credit card company to do a chargeback is usually also not an issue. I would strictly avoid selling overseas due to the potential for customs abuse (where the buyer demands a refund because the item is not delivered, but really they're letting it sit in customs, unpaid, until they get a refund, whereupon they pay customs and get both the item and their refund).

Blog Entries

If this market is anything like the amateur radio goods market (I expect it is), then the buyer with the largest offer likely doesn't have any idea how much he paid for the boards.

I don't know what Canada is like, but I do know that in some parts of the world it can be expensive to make "undue" profit. I wouldn't be too concerned about PayPal. I would however make it clear to the buyer that if he pays by PayPal, you're not shipping for a month or two. Are there not escrow services? (I haven't used one in decades). Otherwise, there's always Bitcoin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    If this market is anything like the amateur radio goods market (I expect it is), then the buyer with the largest offer likely doesn't have any idea how much he paid for the boards.
    Yeah... I was gonna say, I don't think this forum and those connected to it are representative of the majority of the collector market. I've never seen anyone here fess up to spending $55k on a Lisa 1 or $22k for a Mac prototype. I could have missed it, but, I've not seen it.

I also recall from the original auction that there was some confusion that held the price down. The auction was listed with the wrong name (Mark D) the first time, and the second time there were a lot of questions about whether the boards really could be legit. Myself and a few others were skittish because of that other guy that tried to pass off Obtronix boards as originals. Now that we know they are for sure, it might be a different story.

I don't know what Canada is like, but I do know that in some parts of the world it can be expensive to make "undue" profit. I wouldn't be too concerned about PayPal. I would however make it clear to the buyer that if he pays by PayPal, you're not shipping for a month or two. Are there not escrow services? (I haven't used one in decades). Otherwise, there's always Bitcoin.
    Mmmm bitcoin. Man do I wish I'd bought a bunch of those when my friend was egging me to 8 years ago.