Image Map Image Map

Thread: AMI 386 Bios Battery

Default AMI 386 Bios Battery

I have a AMI 386-XT Series 17 Rev D Mark III Motherboard in a DOS only system that I just put together. Needed something to program old Motorola radios and wanted a DOS only system around the shop just for that.
    The issue is that looking at the mother board I cannot find a place for a battery or a jumper for that function. Can run the AMI bios with no issues and the system works great except that after its ben off for several days it forgets all its set up information. Also noticed that the clock on the mother board does not run while the system is off.
    Anyone have any idea what they used for a battery and where it is? The system is too old to have a modern style clock/bios chip at least like any that I have seen before and I have been doing this sort of stuff for a while now so know what battery looks like but am not seeing one on this mother board.
    Also if anyone knows where I can find the manual for that mother board that would be real helpful.

Blog Entries

A photo of the board might assist us in determining where the CMOS clock is getting its power.

Blog Entries

Start here: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/

I recently found setup info for my 386 there. You'll need a little patience sifting through the board, however, as there are a lot of them.

I think this is it:
    386MB2.jpg

It's not in th99 AFAIK. The likely place for the battery is J1 near the PSU connector. But that is only a guess. I don't have a manual for it, and don't own that board.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

Blog Entries

Oh, yes it is--see here The battery connector is that 4 position header next to the power supply connector. (J1). The external battery connections are the usual.

That’s the board, don’t recall how I came across it originally but think it may be from a military system that was upgraded from first one of those huge heavy tempested 286 systems to that and later to a 486 card. Back in the day a lot of that was going on. But it’s been in the mother board storage box a long time and am glad to see it still works.
    The first 386 mother board I pulled was a consumer card that was on top of the pile but that one turned out to be bad. Had a bunch of 286/10 MHz new mother boards still in the box but can’t find them. The 286/386 stuff is starting to disappear and maybe in another five or ten years may be like the DEC stuff and become pricy.
    Will look for J1 and still have some battery packs around the shop that were new years ago and somehow still hold a charge and will start with one of them.
    Thanks for the link to the pinout. Have to wonder if they ever produced anything for the CPU expansion slot or if the 486/P1 stuff came out so fast that it was a technology that never developed?