Is this machine considered on topic for a "vintage" computing forum? One of the things that makes it feel vintage to me is all the quirky proprietary madness which was standard fare early on -- the SGI 320 was pretty late in the game for such shenanigans. The SGI 320 and its bigger brother 540 (and boy is it big) were unusual sort-of PCs that ran off the shelf Windows, err, well with some patches, had Intel x86 CPUs, USB ports, and VGA output. But they also had non-standard power supplies, lots of tiny DIMMs (which were effectively PC100 SDRAM broken in half), and an ARCS firmware. Yes, the BIOS-equivalent in these machines had a GUI and made use of a mouse. They're an ugly stepchild (despite the pointed, err, curved attention to aesthetics) that is probably not particularly welcome either in the SGI community (which would see use of Windows and Intel CPUs as abandoning SGI's IRIX/MIPS heritage) nor in the PC community which would have limited customization/expansion options, and wouldn't have been able to afford to lay eyes on it when it was in its prime.

I bought this machine from the local community college's surplus in the early/mid 2000's. By then it was going for less than 1% of its original $6000 (or so) price tag. It came with an SGI mouse, SGI keyboard, and documentation but unfortunately not a monitor. It came with something like a 500mhz PIII which I eventually replaced with an 800mhz PIII from another machine that we recycled (wish I kept that one). I'd like to upgrade further to dual CPUs but it sounds expensive and impractical. Alternatively it can take one 1.4Ghz Celeron, but that also requires a not so easy to find slocket adapter. and even though that's actually faster, it kind of feels wrong to use a Celeron.

My mom used the machine for several years as a generic web surfing/email computer. At this point, since it's stuck on Windows 2000 (or NT4), it's no longer practical for that purpose. Even if it wasn't, Opera 11 is painfully slow loading your typically bloated sites like cnn.com.

It stopped booting years ago and I only recently bothered to get it booting again: it had simply lost the PROM settings due to a dead CR2032 (hey, it does have a standard part after all!). The GUI-based BIOS was a pain because, as far as I can tell, you can't fully control it with the keyboard. To top it off, finding a working mouse was a nuisance. There are no PS/2 ports on the machine itself - USB only. The SGI keyboard has a PS/2 connector for a mouse, but it stopped working on my keyboard. After digging around awhile I finally found one of those everlasting Microsoft optical mice which worked!

I used to run SETI@Home classic and then I tried to get a workunit done using the BOINC edition on this machine. It had a partially complete workunit from 2013; I guess that's when we quit using it and/or it stopped booting. My goal right now is to run one more SETI@home workunit to completion. Right now it's 13 hours and 21% in. Estimated 26 hours remaining according to BOINC, but that sounds optimistic. It puts out some heat... I should've started this in the winter!

This thing is loud. I want to swap out the fan(s) but haven't checked yet which fans are doing it. Hoping it's not the power supply... but it kinda sounds like it.

I've never done any 3D modeling and I figure if I ever do I'll have to hunt down an old copy of Maya and do it on this machine. I put in the starting bid for a copy of Maya 2.5 on fleabay at $10 and it ran all the way up to $75. Hmm, might be a little rich for my blood.

Anyone know what games might play well on this (or NT4/Windows 2000 anyway)? Quake 3? Return to Castle Wolfenstein? I think I have Quake 3 around here somewhere. I have Starcraft and Diablo running well on it, but those could run on much lesser machines.