Image Map Image Map
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Gearing up for a Cardinal SNAPplus Youtube demo.

  1. #1

    Default Gearing up for a Cardinal SNAPplus Youtube demo.

    Thought this would be a more appropriate area for this than the "PCs and Clones" genre here at vcfed. Finally gearing up to record a simple Youtube video of the Cardinal SNAPplus video capture/overlay ISA card in action using Mathematica's Tempra Pro graphic/video suite of software for MS-DOS. The SNAPplus hardware and Tempra software is circa 1992. Unfortunately I don't have a 386 or 486 machine which would be ideal since the Cardinal SNAPplus was designed for that class machine, but I do have a brand new Socket 370 board I sourced direct from China with a Tualatin 1.4GHz CPU I use for Windows 98SE software. Yes, there is a distributor via Alibaba selling brand new off the conveyor belt Socket 370 boards. Last I checked he still had hundreds of them. It has a single ISA slot, but for some reason, maybe some of you might know why, it is very slow with ISA video cards. Given, this motherboard is designed for AGP and PCI graphics cards, but ISA video cards do work in it, just slowly. Like text scrolls by at 9600 baud speeds and graphics have very slow screen draws. I am guessing the ISA slot is just not optimized on this board? Otherwise the motherboard performs very well with an AGP or PCI graphics card. Anyway, it's all I have for the demo and it works well enough to show what the SNAPplus can do.

    Here is that board from China. It looks to be a rip from a Gigabyte design.

    370mobo.jpg

    Cardinal SNAPplus contents.

    Cardinal SNAPplus Box Contents.jpg

    Mathematica's Tempra Pro Edition 3.0 with Tempra Show 2.0.

    Mathematica Tempra Pro Edition New In Box White Background.jpg

    Cardinal SNAPplus video capture/overlay setup I am building out for the demo. Have second VCR I am installing. Almost ready.

    Cardinal SNAPplus Setup.jpg
    Last edited by liqmat; May 9th, 2018 at 10:23 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liqmat View Post
    but ISA video cards do work in it, just slowly. Like text scrolls by at 9600 baud speeds and graphics have very slow screen draws. I am guessing the ISA slot is just not optimized on this board?
    It likely lacks DMA support on the ISA bus. Some of the last ISA boards didn't implement the full ISA spec as a cost cutting measure and can only do PIO transfers on the bus.

    If you can't find anything poking around the BIOS related to ISA DMA then you're not going to get any sort of speed out of that slot.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    It likely lacks DMA support on the ISA bus. Some of the last ISA boards didn't implement the full ISA spec as a cost cutting measure and can only do PIO transfers on the bus.

    If you can't find anything poking around the BIOS related to ISA DMA then you're not going to get any sort of speed out of that slot.
    Thanks for that info. Luckily for this demo it is plenty fast, but noticeably slower than if it were running on a 386 or 486. I just don't want to pay the dollars people want for a 486 machine for one Youtube demo video. So this will work just fine. Luckily the video from the VCR streams perfectly fine through the SNAPplus and out to the other VCR without a frame drop.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Yeah 486 machines are pretty absurd on Ebay.

    they come up occasionally on the vintage FSFT area of this forum often enough at reasonable prices. Sometimes you can just get the bare board and assemble something form parts without a case.

  5. #5

    Default

    I have Tempra... found it complete in box at a thrift store. I haven't tried using it though because it adds a bunch of stuff to your autoexec.bat... and I was really only interested in the paint program.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Yeah 486 machines are pretty absurd on Ebay.

    they come up occasionally on the vintage FSFT area of this forum often enough at reasonable prices. Sometimes you can just get the bare board and assemble something form parts without a case.
    As many of us probably do, I regret selling off my 486 machines over the years. If only I had known. Why can't I just stick things in a closet and forget about them for 25 years? LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by TravisHuckins View Post
    I have Tempra... found it complete in box at a thrift store. I haven't tried using it though because it adds a bunch of stuff to your autoexec.bat... and I was really only interested in the paint program.
    Lucky find. All it does in your startup files is mostly setup environmental variables for the software. Nothing too invasive. There were two products in the Tempra Pro Edition suite. Tempra Pro was the paint program which had powerful tools like video capture, but it wasn't as feature rich as something like Deluxe Paint. Tempra Show was the graphics and video overlay software and this is where Tempra shines. Much like the Video Toaster on the Amiga you could overlay graphics, animations, titling, etc. onto your video productions. This is what I used it for back in 1993 for a local filmmaker who made low budget horror flicks. Wish I still had copies of his movies. They were all shot in 8mm and were really bad, but absolutely hilarious. His films were always reviewed in underground film mags. Crazy days they were.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •