Image Map Image Map

Thread: How to use IBM Diagnostic Disk 2.07 on a 5160?

Default How to use IBM Diagnostic Disk 2.07 on a 5160?

I'm not used to BASIC and my attempts to load the "DAIGS" file on the disk aren't working.

They result in either "systax error" or Device I/O error (Which confuses me as I was able to boot from the disk just fine.)

Blog Entries

You boot off the disk, and it'll start up the diagnostics program all by itself.

If you get to Cassette BASIC then it didn't boot. Likely if the disk is dirty/worn out or the drive is dirty.
    If you get to a DOS prompt then it's not a real Diagnostics disk or it's been modified.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

I've tried 3 different floppy controllers and none of them boot the disk.

I've set the motherboard for single floppy, is there anything else I can check?

Update: The problem is that the machine isn't booting from the floppy drive.

I've tested the disk in another computer and it works, and I've tried different floppy controllers, cables, and drives but nothing seems to be working.

Is there something else I might try?

Quote Originally Posted by SBK View Post
    ... and drives ...
    Just in case you are unaware: The IBM-supplied floppy controller in the IBM 5160 requires 360K drives. We have seen a few people think, "I can use a 1.2M drive - it can read 180K/360K floppies", not knowing that the IBM-supplied floppy controller does not support the required data rate of 300 KBPS (see [here]). Even if a 300 KBPS capable controller were fitted, BIOS support is required to swap between the various data rates, and do double-stepping where required.

Did you use 360K drives ?

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    Just in case you are unaware: The IBM-supplied floppy controller in the IBM 5160 requires 360K drives. We have seen a few people think, "I can use a 1.2M drive - it can read 180K/360K floppies", not knowing that the IBM-supplied floppy controller does not support the required data rate of 300 KBPS (see [here]). Even if a 300 KBPS capable controller were fitted, BIOS support is required to swap between the various data rates, and do double-stepping where required.

Did you use 360K drives ?
    This system didn't come with any floppy drives, but I've been using 360KB drives because I imagine that's what the disk used.

I also tried 1.2 and 1.44 Megabyte drives with the files extracted from the image copied over. Still goes into BASIC.

This system didn't come with any floppy drives, but I've been using 360KB drives because I imagine that's what the disk used.
    360K drives are what the 5160's motherboard BIOS and IBM supplied floppy controller [here] expect.

Are they known-working 360K drives ? If not, you really should prove their functionality in a different machine.

Termination and jumpering

When you did fit them, did you use termination and jumpering per [here].

Cable

Did you use the cable shown at [here] ? If no, there is a problem right there. If yes, is the cable known-working ?

Controller

What floppy controller is fitted ?

Boot floppy

On a double density floppy ? Proven to be bootable in a 360K drive ?

For example, even with the source boot image for the floppy being 180K or 360K, if the boot disk was created on a double density floppy within a 1.2M drive, the floppy will boot fine in a 1.2M drive, but is not guaranteed to to boot in a 360K drive.

I also tried 1.2 and 1.44 Megabyte drives with the files extracted from the image copied over. Still goes into BASIC.
    Those drives postdate the 5160. And it's not always as simple as bringing over the controller/cable/drive from a later computer. There has to be BIOS consideration as well. See [here] for options.

Assuming that you have the IBM supplied floppy controller, you can connect a 1.44M drive, but you will be limited to using 720K diskettes with it. The 5160's motherboard BIOS works with that combination. See [here].

I have v2.07 and it claims to be for the AT.

There are several other versions that say they are for the PC and XT.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have v2.07 and it claims to be for the AT...
    Good pick up. I have just taken a look at my floppies, and the only 2.07 that I have, is for the AT (5170) and XT-286 (5162).

However, it looks like IBM anticipated someone trying 2.07 against a 5150/5155/5160, because the floppy does boot in the 360K drive of my 5160, but displays the message shown at [here].

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    Good pick up. I have just taken a look at my floppies, and the only 2.07 that I have, is for the AT (5170) and XT-286 (5162).
    I've never tried it on my 5160 as I have other versions that are explicitly for the 5160, e.g., v2.20 and v2.23,

Strangely enough, v2.07 worked on my Pentium 233 mHz tweener when the battery was faulty and I used it to set the TIME and DATE in its CMOS.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen