Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need an opinion on a bad drive...

Blog Entries

I suspect that there's a strong probability that the media flaws with expand over time, so this may be a fool's errand. (I've been caught in those)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Does DOS format eventually complete? It may flaw out a sizeable part of the drive, but it shouldn't give up unless the boot tracks are affected.
    It does not complete. It gets to about 10% (or around cylinder 40-something) and then just drops back to the prompt with "Format Failed". I may try to hook it back up and try Speedstor, just to see if it makes a difference. But I suspect this thing has been sitting on a shelf for too long probably.
    I was planning to put in an XT-IDE anyway, but just wanted to see if I could resurrect this old drive first...

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Try running SpeedStor http://minuszerodegrees.net/software/speedstor.htm and do a read verify test. Depending on the controller, it may add that to a bad track list and should give you more meaningful error messages. That by itself might not make a difference, but if you then use SpeedStor's partition creation tool it should stop you if a bad sector would wind up in a partitions FAT or root directory. If it does that, try creating a smaller primary partition.
    Hmmm.. I think that may do the trick, even without Speedstor. If I tell fdisk to create a primary partition that is < 38 cylinders in size (should be large enough for a DOS boot partition), then created the extended partition in the rest of the disk. Logical drive D, small again (cyl. 38-40-something), and never format it, logical drive E starts after cylinder 40-something.. Maybe that will work... I guess I'll have to try that this week sometime!

It kinda sounds like Track 0 might be hosed and if that's the case there is little to no chance of getting any partition table to work.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Track 0 (Cylinder 0, head 0) can't be hosed; otherwise you couldn't write a partition table and DOS wouldn't start a FORMAT operation.

That being the case, you can start the boot partition pretty much anywhere.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, however. Chances are that the situation will only get worse.