Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: TRS-80 Model 12 successfully shipped

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    The TRSDOS-II format failed. It may be a heat issue. I need to get a better fan to cool the ST251-1 drive.

In the meantime I pulled out the Gesswein emulator first because it had edge connectors so I wouldn't have to swap cables. I was able to format an emulated ST251 from the diags and read back all the tracks. TRSDOS-II formatted as well but failed initializing the directory after format. Aton CP/M formatted but there were errors on some of the tracks (which shouldn't be the case). It wouldn't boot after the format and system copy was complete and I couldn't access the hard drive booted from the emulated floppy. Radio Shack CP/M Plus was able to format and copy over the system tracks and I was able to copy all the files over and it booted just fine. No errors at all.

After that I tried the DREM and had no luck. Formatting from the diags failed (errors on the DREM console for every track and head) so I turned on logging and tried formatting again. I got an empty log file so I need to investigate that.
    Are you on a Type 2 with an 8x300 or still using the type 4? Heat can cause the drive controller to go out of "alignment". Happened to me this weekend. Just a tad out off that drifted enough. It has the ceramic capacitor though.

I'm using the type 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I'm using the type 4.
    Ok ignore me on that one. I have never seen the WD based ones have heat issues. Come to think of it, I'ver never had any issues with them. I guess thats why people like them more.

I was able to get the type 4 to work with the Gesswein with the diags and CP/M Plus without letting it cool so I think it's the drive.

There's a recent update to the Gesswein code so I'm going to try that this weekend. I also will reload the DREM SD card. I was unable to get it to write any diags so I want to see if it's corrupted.

Thanks to Pete I have the DREM working and have even booted Xenix 3.2.0. I built a new SD card image for the DREM.

The updated code for the Gesswein emulator didn't help with TRSDOS-II (diags and CP/M work). After TRSDOS-II finishes the format the Gesswein dumps a bunch of hex and exits the emulation so I need to send the log file to David Gesswein. Hopefully it's a bug in his emulator that can be fixed and not some incompatibility. It would be nice to have both the DREM and Gesswein emulators working.

TRSDOS-II had an error trying to write the disk ID and directory information after the format with the DREM as well ("ERROR 8").

The DREM also didn't work with Aton CP/M. After a few tracks I'd get an odd message on the display connected to the DREM and it would hang. I'll need to turn on logging to collect data to send.
    CP/M Plus also failed. I got complaints from the DREM that the side wasn't a power of 2 (the DREM calls heads sides) which is odd since it didn't have any problem with 5 heads with Xenix.

A combination of the Gesswein emulator and a type 4 controller with the latest update worked for me. I now have Xenix 3.2.0 running.

Many thanks to Pete for all his help.

I was also able to install and boot P&T CP/M from the hard drive.

Next up, get the log files to David to see why TRSDOS-II kills the emulation software.