Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ink Cartridges Are a Scam!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Welcome to the 1900s. We used to call this the razor and blade scam, thank you King Gillette.

Incidentally, if you're still buying modern style razors, you will find ink cartridges less irritating once you find out about those.
    I'm still using the double-edged razor that I used in college. I tried the mutli-blade discardable cartridges a couple of times and found them awkward and short-lived. FWIW, I use "Feather" brand Japanese blades in my razor--they're the sharpest blades I've ever used. And I use shaving soap and a badger-bristle brush. I'm not likely to change my habits at this stage of the game.

I note that my Xerox N2825 laser uses those damned "chips on the cart". I use the Xerox for 11x17 duplexed printing, which isn't often, so I've got a long way to go on my 15K sheet toner cartridge. But I'll order a couple of N2825 Chineesium replacement chips one of these days just to be safe. Or maybe I'll just buy a new printer.

I've never used an inkjet printer, though I've owned several--I was given them and could salvage some mechanicals for repurposing from them.

Blog Entries

I use Feathers too. I think I paid $40 for the package of them which I bought maybe seven years ago which is about 70% depleted, I think..

I quit using soaps and creams a few months ago and went back to dry shaving like I did when I started out (no resources to buy soaps and creams back then). All my skin issues are gone and I get a perfect shave. I do kind of miss the luxurious creams and soaps though.

Blog Entries

We print hundreds of full colour pages per month from our el-cheapo inkjet fitted with a CISS. The majority of these are my wife's craft club newsletters (she is the newsletter editor and printer) each being 3 to 4 pages with colour photos times the number of club members and some extras in case there are visitors or new members.
    Then there's the manuals I run off from bitsavers, and other family members printing and full-colour photocopying their stuff.
    We retired our multiple HP Laserjets ages some years ago, as well as a colour laser printer (I really don't miss the mess from handling colour laser toner cartridges)
    Because the inkjet is constantly in use it pretty much never does that long-winded cleaning cycle.

So, and I enthusiastically tell everyone who asks:
    * Inkjet printer with regular shop-bought colour ink cartidges = dumbest thing in the home printing world
    BUT
    * inkjet printer fitted with CISS = most brilliant thing in the home printing world

One more thing, if you are looking to buy a new inkjet don't get it unless you can get a CISS for that model (check eBay).

Blog Entries

Don't neglect the Epson "Eco-tank" printers. I don't use inkjet, but the reviewers either love them or hate them. Canon has a similar line of "tank" printers.

I wish they didn't come with scanners, though. That's a feature I don't need.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); May 13th, 2018 at 02:40 PM.

Naked Browser (now called NB so as not to offend anyone) does an excellent job of layout on this site.
    Looks good enough to give it a try.

I read that the latest build, 131, I think, may have broken all the good work that has been done on this app. Are you using 131? Have you found this to be the case?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Looks good enough to give it a try.

I read that the latest build, 131, I think, may have broken all the good work that has been done on this app. Are you using 131? Have you found this to be the case?
    Build 81. I don't update anything unless I think I have to.

You may be able to get an older version. There are a few dodgy looking websites where I've successfully gotten older versions of Android apps. I have to because I run old unsupported versions of Android. That and I like to use my GoPro without the cloud.

I don't update anything unless I think I have to.
    You know thats my Mantra... And honestly. And I mean this with absolute certainty. All my machines on our home network (sans phones) work fantastically. I only update what I need to, which isnt much. I read what updates do, I never just "update all" thats a stupid and sloppy way of doing things; and irresponsible.

On the note about razors, my wife bought me a straight razor kit. I learned that a lot of the razors they sell now a days are of dubious quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'm still using the double-edged razor that I used in college. I tried the mutli-blade discardable cartridges a couple of times and found them awkward and short-lived. FWIW, I use "Feather" brand Japanese blades in my razor--they're the sharpest blades I've ever used.
    I use Feathers too. I think I paid $40 for the package of them which I bought maybe seven years ago which is about 70% depleted, I think.
    If those Feathers are that good I'll have to give them a try. I've still got a Gillette Fat Boy double-edged razor to use them in.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

Naked Browser (now called NB so as not to offend anyone) does an excellent job of layout on this site.
    Gave it a try and I really like that you're not forced to view those awful mobile web pages. Instead it displays the full HTML versions. This is a really great feature.

Blog Entries

If those Feathers are that good I'll have to give them a try. I've still got a Gillette Fat Boy double-edged razor to use them in.
    They are sharper than sharp. Nothing compares. Be careful as a beginner, lots of people (men and women) slice themselves up trying to get used to them. But if you use your razor correctly, these blades are just the best.

Gave it a try and I really like that you're not forced to view those awful mobile web pages. Instead it displays the full HTML versions. This is a really great feature.
    Go through all the settings if you have the patience; there's a ton. But there's a good amount of addictive features that you'll miss in other browsers. It took me a long time to figure out the few that I've messed with. Reflow text on (and only on double tap) is one of my favourite features. Zoom in and double tap makes this site work like a million bucks.