Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM PC Convertible 5140 issue with adapter

Default IBM PC Convertible 5140 issue with adapter

Hi Group
    I have recently added a serial/parallel adapter slice to my IBM 5140. I also have the printer adapter. When I add the serial/parallel adapter to the IBM, it no longer turns on. The screen briefly blinks with a few horizontal lines and then seemingly goes dead. If I remove the adapter, after a couple of attempts at turning it on, it will power on again. With the printer adapter attached, the IBM works fine. If I had the cereal/parallel adapter along with the printer I have the same booting problem. I use a replacement PSU that is 15 V and 5 A. I believe that the original PSU was 15 V and 2.7 A. Could that be part of the problem? I opened the serial/parallel adapter case to look at the board inside and I donít see any obvious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by retrobecanes View Post
    Hi Group
    I have recently added a serial/parallel adapter slice to my IBM 5140. I also have the printer adapter. When I add the serial/parallel adapter to the IBM, it no longer turns on. The screen briefly blinks with a few horizontal lines and then seemingly goes dead. If I remove the adapter, after a couple of attempts at turning it on, it will power on again. With the printer adapter attached, the IBM works fine. If I had the cereal/parallel adapter along with the printer I have the same booting problem. I use a replacement PSU that is 15 V and 5 A. I believe that the original PSU was 15 V and 2.7 A. Could that be part of the problem? I opened the serial/parallel adapter case to look at the board inside and I don’t see any obvious issues.
    I don't think your replacement power adapter is the problem. The specifications mean that it can supply up to 5 amps, not that it is force feeding the computer 5 amps. So as a replacement for a 2.7 amp requirement it is fine.

Sometimes things just go bad; there might be a bad capacitor, a loose piece of metal causing a short to ground, etc. I have one that is showing the same symptoms too; I have it on a shelf now for debug and diagnosis at a later date. (Opening it was a pain. If you are interested I have pictures of the circuit board somewhere, but I have to find them in the ever increasing file of digital photos.)