Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source listing for Jade Z80 CPU: "Jade Computer Systems Monitor 2.2B" anyone? :-(

Default Source listing for Jade Z80 CPU: "Jade Computer Systems Monitor 2.2B" anyone? :-(

Hello all!

I'm back to the project of bringing my Jade Big Z and Double D FDC back to life. (not much luck so far .. )

I recall locating a source code listing for the Jade Big Z "Jade computer systems monitor 2.2B"
    but I can no longer locate it!

Would anyone know where to find it?

The Big-Z Manual Rev C lists a "1K Version 2.0 9/10/79 Monitor", but I'm trying to locate the "2.2B" version ..

Copious thanks!

--Tom

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but maybe help you out or least get you close.

http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchive...e/rlee/J/JADE/

Jim
    Who let out the magic smoke!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Jim .. These are the 2.0 versions which I already have I'll keep looking .. I know I saw it somewhere in the not too distant past

Quote Originally Posted by KC9KEP View Post
    Would anyone know where to find it?
    It's probably on one of the diskettes from Gervin Herr that I have.
    He's the guy that designed the Double-D
    I'll see what I can find.

If you look at the manuals I've scanned from Jade on bitsavers, you'll see his personal notes in the backs of the manuals.

Wow! That would be great, Al. I know I've seen the source code for 2.2B on the WEB somewhere, but if one doesn't grab these things, they sometimes disappear! (I wondered who made those notes on the DD documentation! Now, I know )

6. Default

5/12/18
    Hello Tom, I don't have the Jade Monitor ROM listing you are looking for so I don't know if this will help; but I gave up finding a working copy long ago and typed in the listing in the Jade Big Z manual based on version 2.0 A/B. This version is for general Monitor operation and file storage to Tarbell tape or Jade 1S2P I/O board tape. This listing does not work as there are errors mentioned in the Jade Engineering updates.
    So, I started re-writing the code of the original and finally got it to a working format. I am not an accomplished assembly programer so the code is very un-optimized. What I have done is to comment extensively so that I could go back later and figure out what I did. The cassette routines don't work as I need to get a Tarbell card to test this.
    The version 4.0A I have will boot the Jade Big Z system with a Jade DD controller, CompuPro RAM20 and a Jade Big Z CPU with the DD Boot ROM on a SSM PB1 card (programmer & ROM board). The Jade Memory Bank will work but I don't recommend it. In order for this to actually boot, many many modifications according to the Jade Engineering Updates have to be applied and the correct Floppy Drive has to be used. My Drive is a Shugart 851 with a Disk created from Dave Dunfield's Image Disk program which in itself is an adventure.
    What I offer here, is a Modified Jade Monitor ROM Image based on Ver 2.0 A/B that can be compiled using the SLR Systems Assembler and burned to an EEPROM using a Wellon programmer. The Jade DD Controller has a separate Boot ROM at $F000 on another board that will load the Jade CP/M 2.2 system. Again, many things have to happen in the correct order to get a bootable Jade System. This Monitor Listing should allow you to either modify it or use it directly to boot into CP/M 2.2 using the "Disk" command or the "Run" at F000 command. This took me a long time to get working but if I can offer any insight I would be happy to help if I can.
    >Charles
    Attachments: photo1 photo2 txtJADEV4.zip
    Attached Images Attached Images

Charles,
    Thank you for your comprehensive reply! I'll see if I have any luck with the code you had sent!
    You know, I DO have an image (object code) of the rev 2.2B "Jade Computer Systems Monitor" that I have downloaded from an EPROM that someone else had programmed, years back. When I run it, it displays what I believe to be a EPROM checksum. I have discovered that it will accept such commands as: "D 0,100" to dump RAM contents from 0000H to 0100H etc. But, I haven't unraveled the code enough to learn what the other commands may be. Hence I was seeking the source code for 2.2B
    I can send a copy of the ".bin", ".hex", and a disassembled listing 2.2B that I offset to 0F000H so that the listing corresponds to the actual functional location. (I tried to add some comments to the disassembled code listing.) I can send a copy if I can figure out to attach a file in this forum?
    Also, the 2.2B code was written to use USART locations 10H and 11H, so you'd need to patch those
    locations if they are different on your machine (should you try to run this code).
    Thanks again,
    --Tom

Charles,
    Here's some more information on what I'm working on:

I have three S-100 boards and one 8” floppy drive that I am trying to get to work together.
    These used to work together in ~1985 except I may have used a Sugart 851 drive at that time. (I still have the drive, but the motor froze up in storage.) I am now using an 8” NEC FD-1165-FQ ˝ height drive (That ˝ height drive works correctly on my other S-100 CP/M using an “MCP (FDC) Controller”.)

The three boards I’m using are:
    - Jade Big-Z CPU
    - Jade Double D FDC
    - And a 64K Tanner Computers Static Ram Board (I have disabled the upper 8K block)

I have loaded Jade’s DDBOOT.HEX into EPROM @ 0F000H. The only alterations I made to the code were to accommodate the CPU’s console/status ports.

When I reset the CPU, I see the message “INSERT SYSTEM DISKETTE”. When I insert the disk, the floppy drive motor runs, and heads load.. And that’s where the S-100 system stops.

Using my Z80 ICE in the Big-Z, I can “see” that the boot EPROM does reside at location 0F000H, and that CP/M’s system RAM is indeed read-write able from 0000H up to 0EFFFH.
    Furthermore, I can trace the DDBOOT code enough to see that the “injection module” from the DDBOOT is being written into the onboard Double-D FDC RAM.

Also, with my scope, I can “see” data activity coming from the drive when heads are loaded.

I am assuming that I am using my old Jade 56K boot disk that is still good? (I would like to load and try Dave Dunfield’s Jade Boot IMD file, but am waiting for an appropriate FDC for my old ‘386 PC in order to create the 8” boot floppy on my ‘386 PC.)

A couple things I do not know right now: 1.) If my boot floppy is the correct one 2.) What the Double-D FDC controller is seeing that it does not like.

Thanks again!
    --Tom

Charles,
    I had this message before, but I may have done something wrong because I don't see it
    I have the .bin .hex and .lst files for Jade Computer System Monitor 2.2B that I recovered from an EPROM containing 2.2B
    I don't know the command set outside of "D 0,100) to display memory.
    I can send it if I can figure out how to attach files in this forum
    --Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    I'll see what I can find.
    I did a text scan of all of the related disk images, and uploaded anything with 'Jade' on them to
    http://bitsavers.org/bits/Jade
    It doesn't look like I have anything for the monitor.