Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Some days I want to quit the hobby

Blog Entries

I hang onto wall warts--you can never tell when they'll come in handy. I just dug out a 20VDC one the other day for a PC speaker system.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I hang onto wall warts--you can never tell when they'll come in handy. I just dug out a 20VDC one the other day for a PC speaker system.
    mmm now that I think on it I think the Peanut used a 17vac transformer. All I know is, though I don't own a jr anymore, is I found a 17vac transfomer, or pulled it out of something, and held onto it. But looks like I'll never use it.

Blog Entries

Yeah, that happens to me. I've still got a linear PSU for a Grid--heavy bugger, but the Grid is long gone. I think it's also about 17-18VDC.

Blog Entries

Isn't Fender rack gear 17VAC? Or is my memory going? I should know, I have a ton of it, but it's been a while since I've had to look at the wall warts.

Maybe it's Roland. Some kind of music rack gear is 17VAC...

Oh, my Alesis MIDIverb III is 18VAC, I think...or maybe 12VAC...definitely AC, at any rate. I have a Proteus MPS that's also 18VAC.

Suffice to say, anyone who requires a wall wart for gear that's big enough to hold a proper PSU can go straight to hell.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

I agree. But there are other reasons to have a remote transformer than just size. There's also heat. So sometimes there's good reason. Mind you I can't think of too many examples where this is legitimate.

I have a picture of all the wall warts and power strips needed for a small rack of music gear, which is titled, "Electrician's Nightmare."

Huh... Correction: did have. It's gone, apparently, but here's one like it.
    KIMG0406.jpg
    Last edited by KC9UDX; May 14th, 2018 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Maybe it's Roland.
    All of my Roland stuff is 9 VDC, Center Negative.

SO Do I, whole box of them. Its easy enough to snip off the end and add a different plug. Much easier than buying a new expensive unit.

Blog Entries

I've even developed the knack of opening the things up to re-cap them.

And we used mercurichrome on cuts (or merthiolate, which is the same as the dreaded anti-vaxer thimerosal).
    I miss Merthiolate. No would that was treated with that ever got infected. No clothing that came in contact with it ever got clean. I still have an old bottle around here.

The brand name is still around but it's just a tarted-up tincture of iodine, near as I can tell.

The story I heard is that no one wanted to do the testing to demonstrate it was safe because it was too cheap to produce and there was no money in that. So a perfectly safe, highly effective antiseptic is off the market, at least in the USA. Somebody tell Martin Shkreli.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html