Image Map Image Map

Thread: GEOS error during boot

Default GEOS error during boot

I recently decided to try booting GEOS on my crazy expanded C128-D figuring it would be a good experience, but I end up getting an error. Anybody have a clue what this means?

geos error.jpg

Blog Entries

Do you have another disk to try?

I might do a RAM test.

I tried a different disk and a different version with the same result. I'm guessing it might be a RAM issue. This thing apparently has 8MB of RAM, and I have no clue what's going on in the REU. As you can tell, this was someone's pet project. How would I do a RAM test?

c128-07.jpgc128boot.jpg

Blog Entries

I'd try to eliminate as much hardware as you can first. But unless my memory is wrong, that address is right in the middle of free BASIC RAM which shouldn't be affected by anything else.

If I need to test the memory I would quickly write a simple memory test in assembler. But if you can't do that, there should be some ready made solutions out there i would think.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    But unless my memory is wrong, that address is right in the middle of free BASIC RAM which shouldn't be affected by anything else.
    In other words, the problem is likely to be on the main board... which is buried at the bottom of this atrocity... which I question whether I should risk wrecking something while tearing apart this thing, all for one lowly piece of software that doesn't boot and one that I may never use for anything.

Goodness gracious. Is that monstrosity actually inside the unit?!
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

I dont know what mods have been done to that 128D, but the cartridge port is notorious for being flaky. It had different timings than the c64, and things like cartridge bus extenders were always a bad idea!

GEOS might be configured to look for a specific kind of REU (there are GEOS specific REU's etc) than whatever is in yours. Maybe that is the issue.

It's probably not the configuration. GEOS would just complain if it was set up for geoRAM and one wasn't present, not throw a system error.

But you're definitely right about the expansion port. That looks like a disaster.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html