Image Map Image Map

Thread: Panasonic Panasync C1381I monitor "weirding" me out even more

Default Panasonic Panasync C1381I monitor "weirding" me out even more

The Saga continues,

Some of you may remember me posting before about this monitor, and how it wouldn't work with the on-board VGA on my Compaq Prolinea 4/66 (486) machine, and how I got an ATI VGA Wonder 1024 in order to use 800X600X256 which worked, but I can't go above that, or else it messes up.

Some of you said the monitor may not be able to handle 32bit color, or the card may not really offer 32bit color, and the "x32" may refer to something else.

Well, the seller who sold me the card is a member here, is very knowledge, and runs a vintage computers and parts company assured me the card could do 32bit colour.

I also found this article in PC Magazine: https://books.google.ca/books?id=Yfk...c1381i&f=false

It clearly says the monitor is SVGA and can handle up to 1024X768X32.

I am now wondering if maybe there are some drivers or special configuration I'd need?

However, I can't seem to find much about that on google.
    Last edited by ScanDisk; May 13th, 2018 at 09:17 AM.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

VGA monitors are analog. That means they can support unlimited color depth. The only limit is what your video card is able to put out.

Blog Entries

How much vram does the video card have?
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    How much vram does the video card have?
    1mb of vram
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

I still have a Panasync C1381 I bought new... quite a while ago.

I can't find the original user manual, but as I recall this monitor family, like many low-end monitors at the time, only works at specific horizontal/vertical frequency combinations. I have the recollection that if you wanted 1024x768 resolution then you had to use an interlaced vertical scan.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    1mb of vram
    You don't have enough VRAM for 32 bit color at 1024x768. 1024x768 @ 32bpp uses 3 MB of VRAM, 16bpp would use 1.5 MB and 8bpp would use 768 KB. The max that your video card can do is 1024x768 @ 8bpp or 1280x1024 @ 4bpp.

If the card does have modes above 800x600 and higher than 8bpp color depth, then either the card thinks it has more memory than it actually has available, or the driver isn't detecting the amount of memory properly.

There are some weird interlaced modes at really low refresh rates (like 43 Hz) that can sometimes do more color depth on VRAM limited cards (assuming the card/driver supports it), but you'll quickly get a headache and deem it not worth it.

It might be able to do 640x400@32bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    It might be able to do 640x400@32bit.
    I tried that but no, same message.

I'm not really interested in getting above 800X600 resolution because anything higher would be too tiny looking to be usable on my "14 monitor.

I guess 256colors suffices for what I am using the monitor with, DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1, and era-appropriate software.