Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac 512K with "HyperDrive" add-on: Rare?

That's the most common point of failure in the miniscribe drives is the stepper motor. It'll seize up and can even damage the platters when that happens. I've read that people got dead Miniscribes working again by lubricating the stepper motor shaft.

Someone correct me please if I'm wrong, but it might be worth getting some lubrication oil and doing some preventative maintenance on that old Miniscribe. Here're a couple of videos showing different types of hard drives with steppers being brought back to life with some oil:

MiniScribe
    Western Digital

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    That's the most common point of failure in the miniscribe drives is the stepper motor. It'll seize up and can even damage the platters when that happens. I've read that people got dead Miniscribes working again by lubricating the stepper motor shaft.

Someone correct me please if I'm wrong, but it might be worth getting some lubrication oil and doing some preventative maintenance on that old Miniscribe. Here're a couple of videos showing different types of hard drives with steppers being brought back to life with some oil:

MiniScribe
    Western Digital
    Thanks for those links. The issue I have with the MiniScribe drive in my Apple Lisa 2/Macintosh XL is some form of head stiction, I think. I turn the computer on, and the drive fails to spin up unless I tap the bottom of it with the handle of a screwdriver, or another blunt object. This eventually caused the system folder to become corrupted, and I haven't used the Lisa since. I'm hoping there's a way to low-level format another 3.5" MFM hard drive to take its place, but I don't have especially high hopes.

I'm still not sure who made the drive used in this Mac 512K (edit: looks like MMI is indeed the name of a hard drive manufacturer, and their hard drives were used in these HyperDrive add-ons, as mentioned here), but it's spun up and worked correctly each time it was called upon. Somewhat distressing that there isn't a clear way to shut the thing down, since the 'Shutdown' option in these Macs acts more like a restart, and the drive dutifully boots the OS. Was hoping there would be a way to park the heads on the drive before shutdown, but I don't think they included a program to do this. In any case, at this point, I'm more concerned about the Rifa capacitor which blew its top.
    -Adam
    Last edited by AdamAnt316; May 16th, 2018 at 03:15 PM.