Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need some help creating disk images for compact mac systems

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    All I am looking to do is create the image/dsk files from my windows PC. I have a floppy EMU so I DON'T need to write actual disks.
    In that case, you might try HFVExplorer.

Although depending on what you are doing, it can often be easier to manipulate files inside a Mac emulator. For example, when moving files between PC and Mac file systems you usually have to worry about Mac creator types, and some self extracting compressed floppy disk images can only be decompressed from within MacOS.

Someguy, so this utility also lets you create floppy disk images?

Maybe I should add another note. I have a first generation, g3 imac running osx 10.4 Does this help my situation?

My options are a bit limited. I have a compact macintosh unit, apple II unit and an IMAC G3, Id like to use a windows PC if possible to do the disk creation, but if it needlessly complicates things please let me know how to do them in OSX 10.4

Id rather avoid the virtual environment if possible.
    Last edited by VERAULT; May 15th, 2018 at 01:42 PM.

The best solution in my opinion would be to network your vintage Mac. Then you can use the actual Mac to make disk images, then copy them via FTP to a computer with an SD card reader.

Disk Copy 4.2 is the standard app for creating disk images on a vintage Mac.

I'd recommend DiskDup+ or Pro for old floppies that have Copy Protection since it can copy "bad sectors" (usually not really bad sectors, but cleverly written tables to keep people from copying a disk.)

yeah I know, and trust me its on the list. HAve a scsi to ethernet external adapter I plan to get working. eventually.

Diskcopy? What if I am not trying to duplicate a disk but just add some files together to make my own disk images? Im not concerned with existing floppy images, my intention is to create my own from files I have.

Yes, HFVExplorer will create new blank 800k and 1.44mb disk images as well as hard disk images. You can then use it to insert and extract files from/to a windows environment.

Off hand I don't know if using MacOS X would make anything much easier. It kind of depends on the type of data you are moving around. Mac resource forks can not really exist natively on Windows. On windows you have to be mindful of the creator types and resource forks data. Typically that is done by keeping everything in .bin or .sit files.

Disk Copy is used to make disk images on a Mac.

Open Disk Copy 4.2. Insert a floppy disk. Click "Read Floppy" button. Then go to File menu, then Save Disk Image. It'll save a .image file to your desired location.

If you want to make your own images from a Folder of files or the like, then you'll want to get a copy of Disk Copy 6.3. However, this version will only run on System 7 or newer.

Disk Copy 6.3 will allow you to create disk images from anything, not just floppy disks. You may have to tell it to use Disk Copy 4.2 format when saving. I don't know if FloppyEmu can read Disk Copy 6.3 images.

The reason I didn't suggest Disk Copy 6.3 initially is because it doesn't record tag information for floppy disks, so it's not as good for archival purposes. But for the purpose of just making a disk image and getting it on your SD card, it should do the trick.

Alternatively, I also seem to recall that FloppyEMU can be put into Hard Disk 20 mode. You can then have it mount a particular image of any size as a hard disk. From there you can add whatever files you like to it.