Image Map Image Map

Thread: Best TRS-80 Model I/III/4 Games?

Default Best TRS-80 Model I/III/4 Games?

I'm attempting to fill my new FreHD partitions with the best games the TRS-80 has to offer. I already have a decent collection of arcade and adventure games that I've found looking through various archives, but I'd like to know what most people consider some of the hidden gems of the system. Obviously I've got all the Big Five games, all the Gilman and Westmoreland games, all the Scott Adams and Infocom text adventures, but I'm sure there's more. If it matters I've been using LDOS 5.3.1 as my main DOS.

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    I'm attempting to fill my new FreHD partitions with the best games the TRS-80 has to offer. I already have a decent collection of arcade and adventure games that I've found looking through various archives, but I'd like to know what most people consider some of the hidden gems of the system. Obviously I've got all the Big Five games, all the Gilman and Westmoreland games, all the Scott Adams and Infocom text adventures, but I'm sure there's more. If it matters I've been using LDOS 5.3.1 as my main DOS.
    All the Adventure International games were fun. The Computer Shack games had some winners.

"Time Trek" is the best 4K your TRS-80 will ever use. Repackaged as "Space Warp" by Radio Shack.

Leo Christopherson's games all look great and have a fun sense of humor. "Bee Wary", "Android Nim", "Snake Eggs" are all favourites of mine. "Dancing Demon" is iconic but it takes an awfully loose definition to call it a game.

I've never really played it but "Starfighter" is a good tactical space-combat game.

"Pyramid" and "Raaka-Tu" are solid text adventures.

There was an RPG-ish game called "Demons" that appeared in 80 Programs for the TRS-80. I sure spent some hours on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by gp2000 View Post
    "Time Trek" is the best 4K your TRS-80 will ever use. Repackaged as "Space Warp" by Radio Shack.

Leo Christopherson's games all look great and have a fun sense of humor. "Bee Wary", "Android Nim", "Snake Eggs" are all favourites of mine. "Dancing Demon" is iconic but it takes an awfully loose definition to call it a game.

I've never really played it but "Starfighter" is a good tactical space-combat game.

"Pyramid" and "Raaka-Tu" are solid text adventures.

There was an RPG-ish game called "Demons" that appeared in 80 Programs for the TRS-80. I sure spent some hours on that one.
    Lance's Star Trek was also good, and I think there was one in 80 Micro too. So many Star Trek games.

I played space warp yesterday for a while while a hard drive was formatting.

Oh, and XENOS, which is a favorite of mine, not as good as Zork, but still good. I still remember in the dark room playing those games scared to go the wrong direction.

What is the best version of Star Trek for the TRS-80 then? There are lots of them out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    What is the best version of Star Trek for the TRS-80 then? There are lots of them out there.
    My personal favorite was the one where the opening graphic docked and it would have a crude animation when warping between sectors. I think it was in 80 Micro, I have it somewhere (I am way deep in reorganizing the shop so it might be a while). I think it was Lance's. III or III.5 sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    My personal favorite was the one where the opening graphic docked and it would have a crude animation when warping between sectors. I think it was in 80 Micro, I have it somewhere (I am way deep in reorganizing the shop so it might be a while). I think it was Lance's. III or III.5 sounds familiar.
    Sounds like "Star Search" by Berenbon and Gentile. From the August 1980 issue of 80 Micro. First Star Trek game I ever played.

https://archive.org/stream/80-microc..._0880_djvu.txt

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr Icon View Post
    Sounds like "Star Search" by Berenbon and Gentile. From the August 1980 issue of 80 Micro. First Star Trek game I ever played.

https://archive.org/stream/80-microc..._0880_djvu.txt
    Wow, thats the one, I typed that sucker in from scratch. Still remember the smell of that magazine. What I liked was blowing up a star and getting chastised by Spock.