Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New Thread for Phone Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    There's a catch somewhere--there has to be. If I downgrade to the 500 Free plan and don't use the phone, I pay nothing? Or is it like one of those sneaky plans that downloads stuff to your phone periodically whether or not you ask for it and dings you for the unasked-for traffic?
    I'm one of the first people to have this service. I pre-ordered and received one of the first batch of 100 phones. I've been using it for five years. It works, it's absolutely free. I have ... seven or eight ... of these phones now. I leave phones on and don't use them all month and my usage shows zero. I have the same minutes, texts, and data available on day 31 as day 1.

Here are the catches:

You have to really be on your toes for the first month to avoid signing yourself up for something that you get charged for.

You have to turn it on and connect to the network (via cell service or wifi) at least once a month, or you get charged $.01 or $1.00 per day. Assume it will be $1. I've had it both ways and don't know why. Of course if this happens and you have no way to connect you can have the service cancelled and the charges stop. I had this happen when I had a phone that quit working.

You have to keep an active credit card on file or they disconnect you. They occasionally make errors and charge small amounts which every time I've had that happen, I post a message on their forum and the charge is reversed within a few days. I imagine you can get this done quicker if you submit a support ticket or talk to a representative. The erroneous charges are rare and you may never get them. But I and others I know have.

The call quality is dodgy. If you have a good LTE connection, or use the phone on WiFi, or have a good 2G connection and pay the $4 or whatever it is for "premium phone" the call quality is as good as any other cell service. But if you're in an area with poor LTE service and can't get on WiFi, don't rely on this as your only means of calling. The reason for this is that all calls are VoIP, they don't use the standard cell network calling channels. Now if you pay for the premium voice service, it will work both ways, so you'll always have as good quality as anyone else.

The whole thing is "beta" and it shows. There have been times when my phone would not work at all for a few days. Right now, voice mail, which you have to pay $1.99/month for does not work properly. They are working on a fix. On the whole, these problems are pretty rare. And if there's a temporary problem, you can always cancel and sign up again when they fix it.

They are snakier than a politician. They are always trying to sucker you into spending money. But you're really only in danger of paying for something you don't want at the end of the first month, if you forget to downgrade and cancel everything.

I have two phones, one for my wife and one for myself, which I pay the $7.99/month for "Premium Plus". This gives you everything you'd get with any other expensive service, at a fraction of the price, and with less available data. This is our only means of calling, and it works well. In five years I have not had any other phone service. Note that I have a phone at work in case something goes haywire and I need to make a call. But I've never had to rely on that.
    Last edited by KC9UDX; May 17th, 2018 at 03:10 PM.

Talk about hoops and catches...
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Talk about hoops and catches...
    You get what you pay for. It's free.

There is another upshot to using FreedomPop. "Normal" providers are painfully aware of it and are gradually being forced to compete. In fact, I fully expect that the reason TracFone and services like that became reasonable again is because of FreedomPop.
    Last edited by KC9UDX; May 17th, 2018 at 03:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that, but not free enough for me.

I'll stick with the $10 plan on Page Plus. Basically a Tracfone reseller using Verizon's network.

This may sound like a stupid question, but if you pay the 3.99$ a month, are all calls cellular? Or, if that were possible, does a call start out as VOIP and revert to cellular if tne quality bottoms out? Does every call have the potential of using your data?

I *think* it tries to use VoIP whenever possible. I don't give it the opportunity. If I'm not on WiFi, I turn off 3G/4G data when I'm about to make a call.

Sounds like this company should be called... 'How to Make the most Difficult Phone Call in the World'. They've got more hoops than a slinky.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

If you live in a metropolitan area, or any area with good LTE coverage, and frankly most people do, the VoIP works just fine. For the rest of us, what do you want for $0.00 or $3.99?