Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Thread for Phone Discussion

Default New Thread for Phone Discussion

Continuation of the other phone discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I guess I'm the big dope on this site, but here's a blast that will shake this 'skinflint' thread to its bottom. When I get back home next week, I'm leaving Sprint and going with Consumers Cellular. 2 phones for about $38 with unlimited minutes and 250 MB down. I'm going to splurge on 2 new Motorola Moto X4's for about $598 delivered. The Moto seems to be the best bang for my buck. I expect to get at least 5+ years out of these phones as I have with my present 2 Samsung S3's, which are showing their age and need batteries.

Dum-Dum
    $300 for each phone? My phone was well under $100.00 and it came with a year of service and 1200 minutes of airtime (which is actually less than the service/airtime costs la carte). Of course I don't need it to pilot my Lear Jet.

What does a $300 - $500 phone do that makes it worth that much?

Since I don't need unlimited minutes I use TracFone's deal where I get 60 minutes a month for $6.00. I don't even use that much so I have a large surplus of minutes since they rollover. Of course you can always buy more minutes should you need them. There's no hoops, tricks or catches. It's quite straightforward, which is just how I like it.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

I use my mobile phone maybe once every few months--really. Connectivity is barely adequate for voice here and forget about Internet on mobile phone. You can't do much when you get one bar on a good day.

I use PagePlus cellular's $10 plan and got the phone free. I don't even know if the phone's working.

I've found that all of these friggin Android devices have their quirks. I have 2 Samsung devices, 1 Asus, had an RCA, Fire. Phone is LG, last 2 were Kyocera. I hear people kvetching at work about their high end phones. I don't get the cost either. The one thing I favor about my Asus tablet is the built in app MyLibrary. I've updated the firmware, but not the OS, and good thing because then app would have vanished. And even that app is buggy as hell, but it works. My laptop,with a 17.3" screen cost 300$ to my door. my days of spending big bucks on anything electronic are over.

Blog Entries

That's not a lot of money when you consider the going rate for the top Apple's and Samsung's. The Moto X4's are in a nitch for senior citizens, less than half way the cost of the leaders. I'm always on the phone with my family, which are spread out from Salt Lake City, southeast Texas, Tennessee and northern Michigan. My wife is heavily involved with her church work charities and is always on call for this and that. I know the importance of a good cell phone from my days with the feds, and had to depend on one, often in less than normal circumstances. I don't want to be involved with skimping and counting minutes. Also, a decent camera function is a must for me. The Moto isn't best in that area but gets slightly better than passing grades. Anyway, even though most of these phones today are a product of the Pacific Rim, I like Motorola going back to my radio communication days.

The bottom line is I couldn't show up at the Moose or Elks with some cheap ass phone. It's just not done.

I'm with you on the minutes, etc. Whatever your usage needs are must be satisfied.

The two Androids I have that were both free or nearly free make phone calls as well as any other phone that costs $300 - $500.

They also both have good cameras and will run a decent camera app if you're not satisfied with the one that came with the phone.

So I still have the question... what did the extra $$$ get you?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

The assumption would have to be that the 300+$ phones have specific technology that makes it better at handling calls (or texts, or internet) then a 100+/-$ phone. I want to see evidence of this. far and away it seems these functions rely on the coverage in am particular area. You're paying for the name. And you're likely buying into marketing hype. Otherwise show me the specifics. Samsung and Apple devices, many, have beautiful screens. You pay for that. but that has less then nothing to domwith reception.

Blog Entries

Some phones are better than others. You can make the argument that the Yugo was just as good as Uncle Jim's Olds if you want to. After all they both had 4 wheels and a motor and could get you from point A to point B.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x4-8634.php

There was no market hype and if there was it missed me. I went looking and this is what I found. As far as features go, I'm will to bet that this phone has more than your freebe. I don't think 250 is a lot to pay for a full featured cell phone. I have a lot of company on my side and way of thinking or there wouldn't be so many cell phone retailers out there. It's okay if you want to be frugal and low ball the tech stuff, but some of us like to take it up a notch or two. I'm not bragging but I'm more or less financially stable, so to me, it's not a big deal to buy a phone that's slightly above entry level.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; May 16th, 2018 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Some phones are better than others... As far a features go, I'm will to bet that this phone has more than your freebe.
    Considering yours cost ~ $300 more I would certainly hope so.

So, how about listing some of those features that I might be missing and could want in a future phone purchase?

Blog Entries

Ditto. In particular, what features do you get when internet access isn't possible, due to low signal?

It wasn't that long ago that a friend decided to show off his new navigation app on his cellphone. He typed in the address of our destination and the app couldn't deal with it--no decent wireless access.

This reminds me of the idiots who go hiking in the BLM areas or national forests and can't find their way out because there's no cell coverage available. Seems to happen every year. You'd think that they'd have figured out by now to take a real compass and a paper map.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    It wasn't that long ago that a friend decided to show off his new navigation app on his cellphone. He typed in the address of our destination and the app couldn't deal with it--no decent wireless access.

This reminds me of the idiots who go hiking in the BLM areas or national forests and can't find their way out because there's no cell coverage available. Seems to happen every year. You'd think that they'd have figured out by now to take a real compass and a paper map.
    You don't even need cell service.

I use a (free) map program on my tablet which, for obvious reasons, doesn't even know what a cell tower is.. You can set it up before you leave your WiFi area. It will d/l all the necessary maps, etc., and then you set it on local operation, i.e., w/o internet access. Since all you need is the GPS signal and that, as we know, is omnipresent, you're all set.