Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple SE/30 problem

Default Apple SE/30 problem

Hello,
    I have an old Apple classic SE/30 machine, it worked fine but now my screen looks like this.
    Maybe someone recognises this problem?

Best Regards

Bart

IMG_1894.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BartV View Post
    Hello,
    I have an old Apple classic SE/30 machine, it worked fine but now my screen looks like this.
    Maybe someone recognises this problem?

Best Regards

Bart

IMG_1894.jpg
    I just revived a mac with the same problem.

I'm not a Mac guy, but apparantly that is a very very common problem called "simasimac" or something like that, and is usually a sign that the battery or capacitors on the board have gone bad.

I'd look and make sure your battery isn't leaking first.

It can also apparently be caused by bad memory in slots 1 - 4.

If the capacitors are original they are probably toast.

Pull out the logic board and see if it looks 'wet' around all the smd caps.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

You might be able to revive it temporarily by washing the motherboard. Take note of where the chips go, then remove any socketed chips. Wash with nice hot water and a brush. Spray with a can of compressed air to remove water from any crevices, then set it out to dry next to a fan for 8 hours or so. Maybe rotate it 1/2 way through drying. I don't know if that's too long, but that's what I do just to make sure no moisture stays and rusts it.

However, if it still has the original caps, you're going to want to have the board recapped. Likewise with the battery. If it's the original battery you'll want to replace it. If it's a Maxwell battery, remove it immediately.

Video glitches on a board where caps leaked is probably the IC at location UE8. I had pretty much this exact problem on mine. After I recapped it the video would get a bit noisy like that, and I managed to fix it by resoldering (albeit poorly) the legs on the IC. You can even buy the IC new at places like Digikey.

Washing the logic board doesn't always work, and even when it does it's just a temporary fix, but it's free and (at least if you do it right) can't hurt: