Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEC Powermate Portable APC IV. Need some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    I myself would be hesitant without analysing the motherboard circuitry (or having authoritative information from the motherboard maker).

Factors include:
    * A new Lithium battery will have a terminal voltage slightly larger than the label voltage.
    * The rating of the particular CMOS/RTC chip in use.
    * Components between battery and CMOS/RTC chip.

For example, the 'Advance Information' datasheet ([here]) for the Motorola MC146818 chip indicates "3 V to 6 V operation".

So, perhaps 'play safe'. The IBM AT (IBM 5170) is 'in the same boat', so perhaps look at some of the alternatives shown at [here].

If that 7.2 volts battery is new-old-stock, then maybe the voltage is already at 6 volts.
    Matter of fact, my PC/AT actually has a BR-E3 battery!

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    I myself would be hesitant without analysing the motherboard circuitry (or having authoritative information from the motherboard maker).

Factors include:
    * A new Lithium battery will have a terminal voltage slightly larger than the label voltage.
    * The rating of the particular CMOS/RTC chip in use.
    * Components between battery and CMOS/RTC chip.

For example, the 'Advance Information' datasheet ([here]) for the Motorola MC146818 chip indicates "3 V to 6 V operation".

So, perhaps 'play safe'. The IBM AT (IBM 5170) is 'in the same boat', so perhaps look at some of the alternatives shown at [here].

If that 7.2 volts battery is new-old-stock, then maybe the voltage is already at 6 volts.
    Just curious. How difficult would it be to rig the wire off of my Panasonic onto this battery? It it doable? This being a 6v lithium.

http://www.microbattery.com/cmos-t22...memory-support

I've been following this thread with great interest since I have 1 1/2 of these (missing the keyboard on one). I was going to attempt changing out the battery some time back, but I'm glad that I waited. Nice thread topic.

I am calling Microbattery on Monday to see if they can build a BR-E3 battery equivalent. From what I understand they can do custom jobs.
    Last edited by liqmat; July 15th, 2018 at 06:56 AM.

Well, good news. Micropower Battery Company, which is microbattery.com out of Miami, will build the battery. The cost is the price of the new battery as long as I send them the dead Panasonic BR-E3 so they can salvage the wire and connector off of it for the new custom build. If I want additional units made I either need to find a supplier of the cables and four pin connector housing or buy a similar battery with that type of connection so they can salvage the parts. I suppose I could do this myself, but since I've never done a job like this I'll play it safe and just send it to them. The tech I spoke with said it will be a quick five minute job.

Using this battery and hooking it up to the BR-E3 cable:

http://www.microbattery.com/cmos-t22...memory-support

I'll also have to buy some double sided velcro like what is on the BR-E3 since it sits vertically on the NEC Powermate's case housing.

I decided to scan in the entire Owner's Guide for the NEC Powermate Portable APC IV since I found an addendum to one of the dip switch setting pages. I also wanted to get all the docs archived before donating the system to a museum that I regularly contribute to. Thanks to vcfed member modem7 for converting all of it to PDF format and submitting it to minuszerodegrees.net.

You can find it here:

http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/...0-%20NOV87.pdf
    Last edited by liqmat; September 7th, 2018 at 03:07 PM.