Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIN 3.0 and DR-DOS 5.0 EMM386.SYS issues

You can run optimize with only QEMM in your CONFIG.SYS and after complete the process readd the MemoryMAX stuff. Maybe you are doing this yet, but you can also try to load the DR DOS kernel into the HMA with QEMM. Change your QEMM CONFIG.SYS section to someting like this:

DEVICE=C:\QEMM\QEMM.SYS RAM <whatever options you need>
    DEVICE=C:\DRDOS\HIDOS.SYS /BDOS=FFFF

this will free about 37KBs in UMB space but Windows 3.0 want to have the whole HMA for itself. You can also load DR DOS kernel into UMB space, for example:

DEVICE=C:\QEMM\QEMM.SYS RAM <whatever options you need>
    DEVICE=C:\DRDOS\HIDOS.SYS /BDOS=C800

you will have less memory to load LM, though.
    Last edited by dieymir; May 22nd, 2018 at 03:19 AM.

Thanks Stone, but I think the manual I have will be OK.
    dieymir, that's good to know, Qemm first, then Hidos.

I will have to continue playing with this, but I've had other commitments the last few days.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

I use QEMM9 with DOS7.1/WFW3.11 on my Presario 425 and it works nicely. Whenever I want to change up the config/autoexec I just run "optimize" and it finds the optimal combination/order of loading to save the most memory. It can also detect free/used memory for devices on its own during this process, and much more - it's not 100% foolproof but it's about as close as you can get under DOS. I'm not sure if the optimize program exists for all versions of QEMM but I know it exists at least as far back as pre-release versions of 6 per this page: https://www.pcorner.com/list/AOS/QWAUG92.ZIP/QEMM6.TEC/

Since techniques were pioneered and bugs fixed between releases I'd advise that you use QEMM 9 (also called QEMM 97), personally.

Caveat: I have zero experience with DR-DOS, only MS-DOS, PC-DOS, and FreeDOS.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I use QEMM9 with DOS7.1/WFW3.11 on my Presario 425 and it works nicely. Whenever I want to change up the config/autoexec I just run "optimize" and it finds the optimal combination/order of loading to save the most memory. It can also detect free/used memory for devices on its own during this process, and much more - it's not 100% foolproof but it's about as close as you can get under DOS. I'm not sure if the optimize program exists for all versions of QEMM but I know it exists at least as far back as pre-release versions of 6 per this page: https://www.pcorner.com/list/AOS/QWAUG92.ZIP/QEMM6.TEC/

Since techniques were pioneered and bugs fixed between releases I'd advise that you use QEMM 9 (also called QEMM 97), personally.

Caveat: I have zero experience with DR-DOS, only MS-DOS, PC-DOS, and FreeDOS.
    Glad to see that you have emerged from hibernation. Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Glad to see that you have emerged from hibernation. Welcome back!
    Thanks! Don't want to steal his thread to talk about my disappearance, but was mostly just life things doing what they do. Good to be back.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.