Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MIRE board

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I suspected that might be the case, but I wasn't sure if the MISE FPGA was also around 50% in which case a combined board could use both.
    It's a worthy thought. The MISE is only using about 23% of the FPGA resources. The problem is that both devices are using pretty much all of their FPGA's pins, so one with a heck of a lot more pins would be required.

Quote Originally Posted by joe zwerko View Post
    right now i'm focused on a coco 1/2/3 add-on device. All the vga graphics modes are done, so i've moved on to ethernet and storage.
    cocose?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    cocose?
    I'm hoping to come up with a better name than that. Right now the VGA splash screen says "CoCo+", but that could stand some improvement.

The Ethernet hardware is pretty trivial, but the development toolchain is unclear. The MISE/M3SE networking stuff was written in Z80 assembly code with a lot of macros, but it would be quite a challenge to implement all the required tables and algorithms in 6809 code. Not enough registers for one thing. I've been looking at the CMOC compiler which has a pretty decent subset of C, but its libraries are very poor and incomplete at this time.

Since you already have the audio out jack, how hard would it be to emulate the Orchestra 85 and the Voice Synthesizers that are out there for the Model I? They hang on the 40 pin bus. Would be really cool if you just needed software to do that part.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Since you already have the audio out jack, how hard would it be to emulate the Orchestra 85 and the Voice Synthesizers that are out there for the Model I? They hang on the 40 pin bus. Would be really cool if you just needed software to do that part.
    I'll look at it; I've done an Orchestra 85 clone and it doesn't take much. The current poorly-considered plan is to do a mezzanine board for the MIRE with the Orchestra 85 and some other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zwerko View Post
    I'll look at it; I've done an Orchestra 85 clone and it doesn't take much. The current poorly-considered plan is to do a mezzanine board for the MIRE with the Orchestra 85 and some other stuff.
    Well dont let us distract you too much, your work is quite high quality. I'm tinkering with some alternate OSes on my M3SE and once I get a little further I'm going to let you and Malcom know.

Oh and something you should put on the website with your instructions for the M3SE (and probably the MISE). If you use an alternate OS for occasional work, just pop in HIGHTIME/CMD and you can use the clock from the M3SE. I've been doing that under TRSDOS for a while now. I think I'll start spamming the support group with things I've discovered lately. I may attempt to convert the network stack for DOSPLUS too, but that might prove to be too much work for right now.

Was there any difference between Orchestra 85 and Orchestra 90 apart from the interface? (i.e. 85 was 40 pin for M1 90 was 50 pin for M3/4)

PJH

8. Default

Orchestra 90 was for the Color Computer. It had an onboard ROM with the music-editing software and some sample songs. I don't know what they called the Orchestra 85 for the M3/4.

Orchestra 90 was for the Color Computer. It had an onboard ROM with the music-editing software and some sample songs. I don't know what they called the Orchestra 85 for the M3/4.
    The Orchestra-90 was for the Model III/4. The Orchestra-90CC was for the Color Computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    The Orchestra-90 was for the Model III/4. The Orchestra-90CC was for the Color Computer.
    Definitely. I owned an Orchestra-90 back in the day. And it was connected to my M4.

Part of the reason I asked was that if it was effectively the same hardware it might be worth adding to the M3SE (and MISE for that matter) too.

PJH
    Last edited by pjhacnau; May 20th, 2018 at 04:08 PM.