Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dec RK8E controller for RK05 wanted

I've got a picture from Niels (friend of mine) in China who made the M993 PCB's for me. (makepcb.com)
    They are now on their way to me... He made 10 of them for me. So yes, I do have spares...

M993 PCB.jpg

I was wondering, has anyone made 3D drawings of the colored handles?
    I've no idea if there is any demand for those?
    Last edited by Roland Huisman; September 20th, 2018 at 12:11 PM.
    WTB: Case for Altair 8800 ...... Rolands Github projects

In the meanwhile I've done some searching on the web. I found an overview picture
    of an PDP8/e at PDP8.de with the Plessey RK05 controller in it. You can clearly see that the
    top connector is just 1:1. So indeed, the H851 can be used...

Loaded04.jpg

Still waiting for my PCB's but I've cleaned and refoamed the drive.
    These blowers get quite dirty over time. Bearing still runs very smooth...

WP_20180924_18_44_08_Pro.jpg WP_20180924_19_36_57_Pro.jpg

I've recently replaced the bearings in the top fan of my 19" dec cabinet.
    They were completely worn out. That was a nice opportunity to clean the
    whole cabinet inside. Because I don't want dirt from the cabinet into my drive...

I've removed and replaced all the foam inside the drive.

WP_20180924_19_37_44_Pro.jpg WP_20180924_20_05_38_Pro.jpg

I've cleaned a 12 sector PDP11 pack just to put in to check what happens
    when I turn the spindle motor... Everything sounds nice just by rotating by hand.

WP_20180928_22_45_40_Pro.jpg

I still need to clean the heads so I've disconnected the voice coil and left
    the heads in the park position. So time to slowly give it some juice...

In the first place I've powered it up very slowly without the PCB's in the drive.
    The power seems to be okay so the next step was to put in the PCB's and see what happens...

After powering higher and higher the blower fan starts to run, the door lock solenoid clicked.
    It sounds all very nice. I presses the pack switch and then the load button. And the spindle motor turns on.
    You can hear that the spindle bearings had worked hard in their life... So in the end when it is all done
    I might replace that spindle as well... (I got one spare) But for now I will leave it there.

I let the drive run for an hour, just with the disk pack in it but no head load of course.
    Frequently checked the temperatures and power voltages. No extreme heath...
    I thought, maybe it's nice to place some thermal pictures here...

FLIR0016.jpg FLIR0025.jpg FLIR0026.jpg FLIR0029.jpg FLIR0030.jpg

Oh, can anyone tell me where I can get the maindecs to test the controller and drive?
    Can you test the controller separate from the drive? Of does a drive always need to be connected?

Regards, Roland
    Last edited by Roland Huisman; September 28th, 2018 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Huisman View Post
    Oh, can anyone tell me where I can get the maindecs to test the controller and drive?
    Can you test the controller separate from the drive? Of does a drive always need to be connected?
    I've got a pile of maindecs, including those, here:
    http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/software/maindec.php

Yes, there are some versions of the diskless control test there, too.

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by vrs42 View Post
    Hi Vince, Thanks! I'll take a look at your website there.

Quote Originally Posted by vrs42 View Post

Vince
    Oh, I have never seen this page before, well organized with a lot for documentation right next to the images. I wander why there couldn't be a single archive, now there is a lot of maindecs at different pages, including bitsavers, pdp8.net and more.

Quote Originally Posted by anders_bzn View Post
    Oh, I have never seen this page before, well organized with a lot for documentation right next to the images. I wander why there couldn't be a single archive, now there is a lot of maindecs at different pages, including bitsavers, pdp8.net and more.
    Thanks!

That is what I was going for. I've scanned my DECUS tapes and write-ups, and almost all my MAINDEC tapes and write-ups, and rounded up what I could from other folk's sites. The exception is the stuff embedded in RK05 and DECtape images. My images should also be "ready to use", with cruft trimmed off, valid check sums, etc.

I have a pile of stuff left to do -- a large tub of DEC-xx tapes, and a couple of tubs of paper documentation to scan. I also need to do something about the "software"/"papertape" split. Most likely I will make more automatically created pages in "software", which will get updated as images are added. (Currently there are images which are not pointed to by the manually generated "papertape" indexes.

On another level, my intent is to have the site reflect "all things PDP-8". PiDP-8 comes to mind as an omission -- are there others?

Vince

I scanned a couple of documents last week after have checked if they existed on bitsavers. Well, now I saw that ypu already scanned them. I have some more that I'll look true, If I find anything not scanned I'll scan them and and notify you!

Quote Originally Posted by anders_bzn View Post
    I scanned a couple of documents last week after have checked if they existed on bitsavers. Well, now I saw that ypu already scanned them. I have some more that I'll look true, If I find anything not scanned I'll scan them and and notify you!
    That sounds great!

Yesterday, I read in a small pile of DEC-xx paper tape I had acquired at VCFMW (had done the DECUS and MAINDEC from that pile before), only to discover most were duplicates. I did find newer versions of the FPP software and then a newer version yet, so that was exciting. But an ever-increasing percentage of what I pick up is a duplicate... and I guess that's a good thing.

Vince

After you clean the heads, you can manually load them to make sure that nothing bad happens.
    The maintenance manual shows some jumpers that you can install to perform some seek tests.
    The FLIR images are very cool.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org