Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRS 80 - Model II data

Default TRS 80 - Model II data

I just inherited a TRS model 2 with printer after my dad passed. I opened it, inspected it, itís was like new. Turned it on and it filled my workshop with smoke. I changed 11 Rifa capacitors and tried again and it runs like a champ. My problem is the 4 8Ē disks that I was given are frozen in their jacket and I canít get past the insert disk screen. Where can I get operational 8Ē disks for my model 2. Is eBay a good choice?

My condolences on your father. He left you a nice gift in the Model II. It looks like you experienced the typical filter cap issue which is almost guaranteed to happen. There's a good chance the keyboard will not work due to the common problem of the foam keypads degrading. Feel free to reach out and I'll send you a few Model II disks to get started.

http://pski.net/trs-80-model-ii-archive-project/

Keep in mind that many of the Model II disks you will find on eBay are in various states of decay. You should be wary about using them in your Model II due to degradation of the floppy media.

Id love a few disks to get started How can we connect? I'm going to have a look at the key asap. Do you have any advise on obtaining replacement foam if I need it

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    My condolences on your father. He left you a nice gift in the Model II. It looks like you experienced the typical filter cap issue which is almost guaranteed to happen. There's a good chance the keyboard will not work due to the common problem of the foam keypads degrading. Feel free to reach out and I'll send you a few Model II disks to get started.

http://pski.net/trs-80-model-ii-archive-project/

Keep in mind that many of the Model II disks you will find on eBay are in various states of decay. You should be wary about using them in your Model II due to degradation of the floppy media.
    I've been doing some checking of different media. I found five boxes of 3M that were in great condition. Do NOT get the Wabash disks - They will crud your floppy drives up before you open the box, guaranteed its on the side of the box. Well at least the ones I got .

Condolences of the loss of your father, and the computer is quite a piece of history you have there.

I also have recently entered the big Tandy space, and I just repaired the keyboard. I managed to get a very nice new in the box Sun Type 4 keyboard and popped the foam out of it and replaced every foam pad in the Model II. Very easy, very nice Sun keyboard, and every key works like a champ. I actually have some pads left over because the keyboard had so many keys on it, so if you find one you'll have some spares.

I bought a few DSDD 8" Wabash NIB and they've been working okay for me.

I got the foam pads out of a Sun Type 4 to rebuild my Model 16 keyboard. Now Kevin (texelec) sells sets on eBay. I bought a couple of sets to rebuild a Model 12 and Model 6000 keyboard this coming weekend.

I took the keyboard apart and it looked great. I just need some software to see if it runs. Thats the next hurdel. Im also curios about the 4 expansion slots. What boards fit and are the plug and play. Cant be that simple

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I got the foam pads out of a Sun Type 4 to rebuild my Model 16 keyboard. Now Kevin (texelec) sells sets on eBay. I bought a couple of sets to rebuild a Model 12 and Model 6000 keyboard this coming weekend.
    Sun collectors hate us, but those Sun keyboards used very high quality foam pads compared to the ones found in the Tandys. I've sacrificed a few type 4 keyboards, but always with a little bit of guilt. I've tried making my own, but it's a pain to do it right and I don't have that kind of patience. I'm excited to see someone selling complete foam pads now so I will give them a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeano33 View Post
    I took the keyboard apart and it looked great. I just need some software to see if it runs. Thats the next hurdel. Im also curios about the 4 expansion slots. What boards fit and are the plug and play. Cant be that simple
    Here's a nice list of all the boards that can plug into those slots. And you are correct, it is not that easy. There are lots of qualifications as to which cards work together and with which operating systems. This is something you'll pick up if you stick with learning about the big Tandys and hang around here for a while. Collecting these machines is not for the faint of heart and it comes with equal amounts of frustration and satisfaction. Well, maybe more frustration.

https://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/...usCardZoo.html

Alphasite said:
    "I got the foam pads out of a Sun Type 4 to rebuild my Model 16 keyboard. Now Kevin (texelec) sells sets on eBay."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-100-...ss!53150!US!-1

Are these the pads that work on the Model 2/12 Keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfenstein View Post
    Alphasite said:
    "I got the foam pads out of a Sun Type 4 to rebuild my Model 16 keyboard. Now Kevin (texelec) sells sets on eBay."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-100-...ss!53150!US!-1

Are these the pads that work on the Model 2/12 Keyboard?
    They should work. I’ll post my results after I try them this weekend.