Image Map Image Map

Thread: Menuing solutions?

Default Menuing solutions?

Pardon the relative newb question, but what existing software-launching menu systems exist that work with LDOS and a hard drive (M3SE, actually) on a Model III? I see this topic being discussed in a few current threads, and I'm in that situation myself. I'd really love to create a more useful launcher menu rather than having to remember what CMD file does what.

Thanks!

Profile Plus lets you create an executable via the creator program (CM) that creates User Menus. Its only 10 I think per menu, but its far more elegant than the various other menu programs in the archives.

I have the full LDOS manual printed out, but the refcard is nice. But what does that have to do with building up a menuing system, exactly? I'm not that concerned with the individual LDOS library and utilities (I can remember most of those), I'm more concerned with my larger app library.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewsi View Post
    I have the full LDOS manual printed out, but the refcard is nice. But what does that have to do with building up a menuing system, exactly? I'm not that concerned with the individual LDOS library and utilities (I can remember most of those), I'm more concerned with my larger app library.
    There are a few programs in the archives called Menu, etc. However, like I said, Profile III+ works great for menus. If you have ever seen the radio shack diagnostics disk, they used that to create the menu system on it. You just have to map things out on paper and then it can call each JCL file. When done, you can just type whatever you called the main menu and you are back, because the JCL files will be kind of weird at times.

I've found a few different versions of Profile III+ in the archive. There's a floppy based one which appears to work fine, but it doesn't play with HD based systems, it's expecting to find its runtime files on the floppy drive. The archive contains a version that claims to be the HD version, which according to the documentation is LDOS-based, which would be great, but when I copied it over to the HD and tried running it, it threw some runtime error when I tried to start creating a new DB file, and exited back to DOS, which didn't happen with the floppy-based version. (Sigh.) Need to spend some more time digging into it.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewsi View Post
    I've found a few different versions of Profile III+ in the archive. There's a floppy based one which appears to work fine, but it doesn't play with HD based systems, it's expecting to find its runtime files on the floppy drive. The archive contains a version that claims to be the HD version, which according to the documentation is LDOS-based, which would be great, but when I copied it over to the HD and tried running it, it threw some runtime error when I tried to start creating a new DB file, and exited back to DOS, which didn't happen with the floppy-based version. (Sigh.) Need to spend some more time digging into it.
    I'll check later and see if my HD copy works right, and shoot it to you. I have the originals in the binder up there somewhere too. Of course, you can always do the creation from the floppies and copy them in the meantime.

That'd be great, if it works for you. I'd love a copy that works AND runs on the HD.