Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop first impressions

Blog Entries

Default FreedomPop first impressions

2 phones, 2 numbers, 15$ to my door. 14 day trial. Alcatel One Touch Conquest. 5" screens. When I call someone they sound a bit muffled, but they say I don't. It doesn't matter to me, I don't live on the phone. I have no major complaints as of yet. When I make a call, not sure if it actually tests the possibility of voip, it seems to automatically switch to "premium voice". You don't get that for free, you have to pay 3.99$ a month to add actual cell service to the basic free plan.. I may do that with both lines, at least 1. There are better phones, currently you can get a Samsung S4 for 49.99$, or could. These don't come in sealed boxes like most phones, I suppose FP buys them in bulk and slips them in their conventional, unsealed packaging. I questioned whether these were refurbs, they didn't look it though. You get a usb charger and cable, small instruction book, and a little metal tool for removing sim/sd tray (?) maybe sp3cific to Alcatel phones.

I downloaded some large files, several nearly 500mb, and the data speeds were slow, seemingly 3g speeds. I don't plan to download much anyway, with the free/3.99$ a month plan you only get 500mb anyway, reserv3d for essentials.

I haven't figured out yet how to switch my plan to what I want. The only options are 13.99$ a month (no limit, no limit, 500mb) and higher, the cheapest not being terrible. We'll see. I haven't yet looked at my cc statement, not sure if there are any surprises ...

I'll update this thread when I have more to say.

Blog Entries

Out of curiosity, I looked at the FreedomPop coverage map for my home. It appears to be on the hairy edge of 3G coverage; if I cross the street, I'm out in "no-coverage" land.

So, not an option.

I just bought a FreedonPop 1-year plan with unlimited minutes and texts and 1 GB/mo from best buy for $45. It's a GSM SIM card, prepaid, on the AT&T network, not the CDMA under Sprint. I bought a Moto 5+ phone at Costco for $180. Set up was easy. Still exploring what I really have in terms of service coverage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Out of curiosity, I looked at the FreedomPop coverage map for my home. It appears to be on the hairy edge of 3G coverage; if I cross the street, I'm out in "no-coverage" land.

So, not an option.
    Do what Matt does and get 2, stick one up in a tree. I got two, just in case. Been checking out the surrounding trees...

... Or you could buy a drone and stick one in it, and have it follow you around constantly. Would be a dog on the freeways though. Overpasses and all.

Blog Entries

That's an attractive plan for a lot of people. I need less data. I waste too much time ...

Blog Entries

The problem is that the house backs up to a ridge--and the cell tower is on the other side of the ridge. I suppose I could run some coax up on the the 90 footers here (the tallest is about 140 ft, as read from my trusty Biltmore stick.) But there's no way you're going to get me up one those telephone poles... So I get whatever bleeds over the ridge top, which isn't much.

Blog Entries

Ok, 1 phone I downgraded the plan and services. They wanted a 15$ deposit, ok fair enough. But I don't anywhere see an option for the 3.99$/month non-voip voice option. Anyone have a clue? The only thing I was offered was a 13.99$ plan.

Ok nm I found it lol.

Freedom pops free plan was for me but the hassle of trading into a Sprint phone wasn’t worth it,

Further Sprint is trying to get bought out, once they do all of the Freedompop like services are in Jeopardy

FreedomPop seems to be getting away from Sprint and going to AT&T. I have some devices that are on Sprint and some on AT&T. As long as you don't have a network-specific device, you can get an AT&T network SIM card. I have one, and recently they were really pushing them.

Blog Entries

The one phone I downgraded a few days ago. Haven't added the. 3.99$ option, but it still automatically switches to premium voice. Maybe they keep you there until the bitter end of the trial before you get to experi3nce the hard reality of voip. But they don't want you to stay there presumably so that doesn't make much sense. I'll probably leave that phone as is and lavish myself with 200 extra minutes of voip luxuriance. I'll also downgrade the other phone but add the 3.99$ premium service to really live it up. Then there's porting my old number. That should be really entertaining.