Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: FreedomPop first impressions

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    You can do the same with Google's service, whatever i it's called today. My wife uses that, and it's how we have a land line (without a computer). But I don't know what it's called. They seem to have "rebranded" the service a few times.
    Hangouts Dialer?

I've found TextNow to be much more extensive plus it uses your Google contacts, if you let it.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Could be. But I think that was the old name.

TextNow requires a Windows computer or any tablet or phone, IIRC. The Google service is SIP, so I can use a simple SIP box for our home phones. My only gripe is that after three rings it goes to my wife's cellphone, rendering my answering machine moot.

Could be. But I think that was the old name.
    That's still what it's called on my phone.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

TextNow requires a Windows computer or any tablet or phone, IIRC. The Google service is SIP, so I can use a simple SIP box for our home phones. My only gripe is that after three rings it goes to my wife's cellphone, rendering my answering machine moot.
    I don't use TextNow for incoming calls. I use it to make free calls and for SMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    That's still what it's called on my phone.
    Yeah, Hangouts Dialer is basically the Hangouts interface for Google Voice, but the Google Voice app is their path going forward... at least this week.
    Last edited by ngtwolf; July 20th, 2019 at 07:35 PM.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

Sure, I've got a couple of free VoIP lines from Google voice, as well as my regular VoIP service, all going though VDSL.

I keep my cell phone for the times when the power goes out. Not even old wired landline works then for more than about a half-hour, so a charged cellphone is pretty much a survival supply.