Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maxtor Low Level Formatt\ 1.1 "Divide Error"

Blog Entries

I've still got my PC Dos 4.01 disks and cloth bound manuals with box. Was a big fan off DRDos back in the day. It just seemed right somehow. My first introduction the Dos was Compaq Dos 3.31. That was a nice peice of coding. Handles hdds up to 512megs or so.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Again, it doesn't actually *wipe* the disk, but it does zero out enough to kill the MBR and partition table.
    Sorry to nitpick. Per [here], the partition table is part of the MBR.

DEBUG is another way to wipe the MBR.
    Shown in 'Step 2' of [here].

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    Sorry to nitpick. Per [here], the partition table is part of the MBR.
    Huh, didn't realize that. I assumed that since "FDISK /MBR" didn't kill the partition table, they were separate. I guess what I was thinking of the MBR is more like a bootblock.

Blog Entries

They're combined. There's a nice color-coded hexdump here: http://starman.vertcomp.com/asm/mbr/STDMBR.htm
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Doesn't that require a Pentium with 4MB?
    I usually use a dedicated machine (a low end P4) just to work with IDE disks,
    and this older version of MHDD works fine with old disk that don't have LBA access.
    It's very easy to test, clone and erase those tiny IDE disk with MHDD.

I've tested it with a 386SX/20 and 1MB RAM and it works fine but gives an
    error on my PS/2 model 30 (8086).
    I couldn't test it on a 286 yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    IIRC, the early Maxtor drives were a bit confuselated. I find this in some of my old code that computes drive parameters from the IDE IDENTIFY command:

Code:
    //    We compute logical CHS if we're in LBA mode and we also
    //    work out the problem with some Maxtor drives that have the
    //    LBA capacity words swapped!
    Apparently, the formatting program doesn't know about the bug.

If you use the Seagate IDE utility that allows you to send commands to the drive, you'll see what I'm talking about when you issue an IDENTIFY command.
    Chuck, can you tell me more about this? Are all the words in the IDENTIFY response swapped or only some? What's the easiest way to detect these drives? I'd like to improve compatibility with XTIDE Universal BIOS and if these drives can be easily identified and the problem fixed with some small amount of code then I'd like to give it a try. (I realize these drives are rare as hen's teeth now, but still...)
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Blog Entries

Well, the total number of sectors field in the IDENTIFY response is 32 bit or two IDE words. Recall that the IDE standard is big endian, but someone at Maxtor got confused and made the response little-word-endian. That is, the 32-bit quantity for the total number of sectors is sent with the LSW first and the MSW second, which is exactly the opposite of what is supposed to happen. As I recall, I computed total sectors by multiplying the C, H and S values together and comparing them with the 32-bit total sector count. If the two were wildly different, I used the CHS product for the total sector count.

As far as I know, this only applied to the 40MB Maxtor drive, but there could be other cases out there. The 40MB Maxtor was about the time that LBA came into the picture, so you can see the confusion.

This is all from memory, as this goes back more than 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by noppa View Post
    I usually use a dedicated machine (a low end P4) just to work with IDE disks,
    and this older version of MHDD works fine with old disk that don't have LBA access.
    It's very easy to test, clone and erase those tiny IDE disk with MHDD.

I've tested it with a 386SX/20 and 1MB RAM and it works fine but gives an
    error on my PS/2 model 30 (8086).
    I couldn't test it on a 286 yet!

Tested today. Works fine on a 286-12Mhz (Olivetti M290).