Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to transfer files to your old DOS machine - fastlynx?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lectere View Post
    And the Xircom parallel-port "PE3" network adapter looks like a nice alternative, but a quick look on ebay proves they are expensive and hard to find...
    They are worth every penny if you want to connect oddball systems to ethernet.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

A Panasonic CF-51 supports USB drives under DOS and has true parallel and serial ports. Last one I bought was under $50. I set it up to dual-boot realmode DOS (w98se/Bootgui=0) and XP SP3. Enable USB legacy support in the BIOS, put a USB thumb drive before turning on and booting up- comes up as a DOS drive.

You could use it as an intermediary transfer point.

I just use a P1 or 486 notebook with a Win95/98 - put a PCMCIA->CF card in it, which Win9x can "see" and then transfer data by LPT null modem cable, using Norton Commonder 4.0 to all my vintage machines from 8088 to P1. On PII-PIII I use driver that makes Win98SE see a USB stick)

q-First, the "modern computer" or its capabilities hasn't been identified
    a-Windows 10 PC without any paralel port. It's been a long time since I've seen a modern PC with a real parallel port, although PCIe add-in parallel ports exist.

q-The OP says that he has a PS/2 (I assume that it's the "old" one), but somehow a floppy drive won't work, even though he says he has a USB floppy for his modern machine.
    a-maybe I said it wrongly, but the floppy method works, but is a bit annoying because of bigger games/data.

q-Further, he doesn't identify what OS his modern PC is running.
    a-win10

q-Why a cheap USB-to-serial cable won't work (with a null modem adapter) hasn't been explained.
    a-I don't think I can install fastlynx on my windows 10 PC, or am I missing something?

Too many questions, too few answers.

Blog Entries

Get a USB-serial adapter (you will also need a null modem cable to go DTE-DTE) and use good old ZModem. Here's an example employing this method from a Win10 system to an Atari ST

Or just google "Windows 10" "ZMODEM" and start reading.

This is probably the least expensive and most reliable method.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lectere View Post
    And the Xircom parallel-port "PE3" network adapter looks like a nice alternative, but a quick look on ebay proves they are expensive and hard to find...
    Because you have a PS/2, this is really the only practical option for something that doesn't transfer very slowly. A XIRCOM PE3-10BT sold last month for $25 so you just have to camp auctions and wait for one to show up at a reasonable price.

Otherwise, you'll have to use USB serial on your Windows 10 system, and serial on your PS/2. That will always work but is really slow.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

To answer the original question... YES. Fastlynx 3.3 will run on a modern Windows machine and it has a DOS slave program.

There is another posibility: get one of those cheap Gotek Floppy Emulators and upgrade it with the HxC firmware

http://hxc2001.com/store/index.html

or their OSS alternative FlashFloppy

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

There are youtube videos that explain how to flash Gotek drives with the FlashFloppy firmware.

Unfortunately, since you have a PS/2 computer you will need to do some extra modding to the Gotek drive to make it work.

If your new computer is any of the ones that runs Windows XP to 10, and your old computer runs based on a so called 80386(SX) or newer processor, then give ParCP-USB a try. I use it since years, it works just fine between these systems. And if you have ATARI ST series machines, you have double use as it also accepts this platform as the old one.

https://joy.sophics.cz/parcp/parcpusb.html