Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just bought an IBM 9377 on eBay - now what?

Blog Entries

Hah!

So it sounds like unless I have this ps2 model 30 console, this think is basically a 300 pound end table. Is it a PS2 30 with a special card that made it a console? I have seen some videos of folks booting up ES/9000 with OS2 Warp. Is it similar to that?

Also, I have heard that IBM made all of the software for the 370 freely available. Is that true? I have searched and can find no FTP sites or anything. I am happy buying a PS2 30 off of eBay, I just do not know what card or software I need... or where to get it. Back in the day I was a COBOL/Assembler/CICS developer and sadly never got involved in how the Mainframe booted up... it was just always running.

Sorry for all of the questions. I'd really like to see if i can get this thing running.

Maybe. But you're missing a lot more than just the ps/2. you're missing the entire I/O card cage, the rack PDUs necessary for power sequencing, DASD, tape, channel cables, and a 3270 to serve as system console. At least. What you have is just the CPU.

Also IIRC IBM made _some_ 370 software available, but only for the purpose of running under Hercules. Other use not allowed.
    Last edited by bear; May 30th, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

Blog Entries

That's what struck me about the whole deal--the incompleteness of it.

Even after the peripherals have been accumulated and cabled in, there remains the issue of software.

But as a conversation piece, maybe not so much of a loss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Maybe. But you're missing a lot more than just the ps/2. you're missing the entire I/O card cage, the rack PDUs necessary for power sequencing, DASD, tape, channel cables, and a 3270 to serve as system console. At least. What you have is just the CPU.

Also IIRC IBM made _some_ 370 software available, but only for the purpose of running under Hercules. Other use not allowed.
    IBM have never made any software available to run under Hercules. The only IBM software that is available on Hercules is that which has always been in the Public Domain. In the early days IBM gave away the OS with the hardware, and didn't copyright it, believing that the value was in the Hardware. Once software is in the Public Domain it can't be taken out of the public domain.

So all the OS family including MFT, MVT, VS1, VS2 and MVS (pre SP), VM/370 up to R6 (pre VM/SP), Some of the DOS family (I don't know the details) are available to run on any platform. However all of these operating systems require DASD (disks to non IBM people) that are Count Key DASD (CKD) where each track can be formatted with a different block size. The 9370 generally came with integrated disks that had a fixed (512 byte) block size. These are called FBA DASD. The only IBM operating systems that can use these DASD and run on the 9370 are the later VM/SP family and which was licenced and so isn't available to run on the 9370. The other publically available "Mainframe" operating systems MTS and MUSIC/SP may work with FBA but require an XA capable CPU which the 9370 isn't...

... oh and generally you need a 3270 card in the PS/2 console that you use to load the system, so you don't need a separate 3270...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

"...require DASD (disks to non IBM people) ..."

At CDC we called them "RMS" for "Rotating Mass Storage".

OK, so basically I have the CPU box and no way to boot it or connect to it. If the 9377 needs an additional IO cage, then what are the cards on the back that appear to have parallel / serial ports? Is this what connects the CPU to the other units? Check out the pics.IMG_0085.jpgIMG_0084.jpg

Blog Entries

I can't read the numbers but the hardware planning guide

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/p...stem_Oct86.pdf

say the 9377 should always have two cages...
    .. could this be the missing cage?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192543750341
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

I think you are right. This is the same seller I bought the CPU from. I'll call and see if it came from the same place. They said min came from a Community College. I bet this came from the same place. Crazy that they are asking over $1300 and only $600 for the one I bought.