Image Map Image Map

Thread: Recently picked up an Apple IIGS "Woz" edition!

Cool Recently picked up an Apple IIGS "Woz" edition!

Hey guys! Longtime lurker, first time poster!

I recently picked up an Apple IIGS "Woz" edition, with three 5.25 drives, two 3.5 drives, original keyboard and mouse, original monitor, and a joystick. Additionally, it had some software, a Apple High Speed SCSI card, a RAM expander, and a Transwarp GS card. I'm beyond happy!

I posted all about my initial experiences here, if you're interested in checking out the story of me getting it, along with my first few weeks tinkering: https://techknight486.com/f/apple-ii...st-impressions

I'm going to update in a few weeks with my adventures trying to get a SCSI Zip Drive working with it, and some of the software and games I've been playing on it. If anyone has any suggestions with what I can do with it, feel free to let me know!

Blog Entries

Congrats on getting a IIgs. What I loved doing on a IIgs in the 80s was running games that had enhancements that were only present on the IIgs. For example, interplay games like Bard's Tale and Tass Times in Tonetown have graphics borrowed from the Amiga, but had soundtracks that were unique to the Ensoniq soundchip in the IIgs. Along those lines Deluxe Music Construction Set has at least one really killer tune. You may also want to check out the IIgs demoscene: http://www.ninjaforce.com/html/special_demoscene.html which does a good job of pushing the IIgs to its limits.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Weren't they all "Woz Edition?"

I never got to run ||gs specific software. So the ones I used were just used as fast //e's.

I've got one here that quit working over the years. It would be fun to repair and use to run some newer software. Maybe I'll tackle that if I ever get the /// working.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Weren't they all "Woz Edition?"
    Some had a reproduced "Woz" signature. That itself is not all that rare (forget the numbers), but it sounds like OP got a *really* nicely equipped IIgs! I used one with floppies only and GS-OS for a few years in high school, probably would've kept using it much longer if I'd had a hard drive for it.

The first 50,000 IIGS'es were all Woz Editions. The signature printed on the case was the only special feature. This also means they all originally came with ROM 00. Apple offered ROM 01 as a free upgrade, which the original owner may or may not have done. Or of course anyone could swap a Woz Edition case lid onto a later IIGS.