Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows XP screen dimming question.

Who shuts down computers? Is that a thing? I haven't shut off a computer as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I have not experienced similar on a mac, unless OS X did something for a while but do not anymore that I have seen, but last I saw either you pressed the button on the keyboard and you got a beep and "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" and your options but no gradual loss of color.
    Mac OS's shutdown timer does not fade to black & white, but it does have a timer that automatically shuts down the computer if you don't respond to it:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    Who shuts down computers? Is that a thing? I haven't shut off a computer as long as I can remember.

Windows 10 shuts down and restarts after updates doesn't it?

It use to be common practice back in the win9x days to restart regularly because the system would slow down over time. It wasn't uncommon for folk to recommend a fresh install yearly in the 2k/XP era.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; May 27th, 2018 at 03:36 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post

Really? I thought everyone shuts down their PC mainly to conserve energy and to help the hardware last longer.

Although Micro$oft stole Apple's ideas, they made their version better in my opinion. Nothing beats Windows XP.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Really? I thought everyone shuts down their PC mainly to conserve energy and to help the hardware last longer.
    Turning a computer on and off all the time can wear out hardware worse than leaving it on.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Although Micro$oft stole Apple's ideas, they made their version better in my opinion. Nothing beats Windows XP.
    Both Apple and Microsoft got their ideas from Xerox PARC who developed the Alto personal computer. It had a bitmapped screen, and was the first computer to demonstrate the desktop metaphor and graphical user interface (GUI)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Turning a computer on and off all the time can wear out hardware worse than leaving it on.
    I wonder how much worse... It seems the answer depends on who you ask, and how you use your PC...

Sometimes I leave my PC on for a few days. Other times I turn it off for the night or I turn it off a few times a day. So I don't know.
    Last edited by computerdude92; May 28th, 2018 at 09:01 PM.

Mine just go to sleep after a while and wake up when I open the screen (or press a key if it's a desktop). This has worked fine since Windows 98 I think...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Both Apple and Microsoft got their ideas from Xerox PARC who developed the Alto personal computer. It had a bitmapped screen, and was the first computer to demonstrate the desktop metaphor and graphical user interface (GUI)
    Did you both seriously just try and nail the existence of an exit notification window on someone stealing from another? What the hell is wrong with you guys??
    = Excellent space heater